Platy Fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I've decided on my personal keeper for myself.

Hes been moved to my 55, where he will be okay, though small and skittish there. But he should be large enough now to avoid being a snack. I don't know the gender yet however.

View attachment 108414

3 of the larger ones will be going to my upstairs neighbour soon. I'm cleaning up one of my old 20 gallons for her, then setting it up with some sand and decor. She will be getting a cycled filter with it as well.
So they'll be buying a whole set up? Good idea. :)

My keeper, still unsure of a name (I will consider suggestions!). But s/he's very bold, not afraid of much larger tankmates. Very independent though. Doesn't bother with his/her mom and older sister. Smallest fish in the tank at the moment, but does not miss out on food! He or she is a pig.

20200707_191256.jpg
20200707_191244(0).jpg
20200707_191257.jpg

All my platy fry have found homes :D
Given that mom is in a tank with skirt tetras, I don't expect to have many other platy fry after this batch. Bittersweet, but its nice to see they've found homes. I've kept one, named him Keeper, though not totally sure on his sex yet.

@emeraldking
Question. Can a platy be both a wag and a mickey mouse at the same time?

My keeper baby has the wag markings but also the big dot of the mickey mouse marking too.

Mom is mickey mouse, dad is a wag. Assuming he is dad anyways, I've gotten all wag babies this time when I've never had wag fry until the wag male was with her...
20200723_214654.jpg
20200723_214439.jpg

@emeraldking
Question. Can a platy be both a wag and a mickey mouse at the same time?

My keeper baby has the wag markings but also the big dot of the mickey mouse marking too.

Mom is mickey mouse, dad is a wag. Assuming he is dad anyways, I've gotten all wag babies this time when I've never had wag fry until the wag male was with her...
View attachment 110590View attachment 110591
Yes, that´s possible. Wag and Mickey Mouse markings are dominant. It also means that both parents have a black gene. And when both parents have a black gene, the markings will be passed on autosomal.
It only differs per individual if those markings are less or more present. But that has got to do with the density or concentration of the melanophores (dark color cells) that are present.

Yes, that´s possible. Wag and Mickey Mouse markings are dominant. It also means that both parents have a black gene. And when both parents have a black gene, the markings will be passed on autosomal.
It only differs per individual if those markings are less or more present. But that has got to do with the density or concentration of the melanophores (dark color cells) that are present.
Awesome! Several of the fry had these markings.

Mom is the lower one in this photo, the upper one is an older offspring I kept long before I got the wag male
received_668881713872204both-1.jpg

Dad
received_569673300573655daddy.jpg

The babies I've kept from mom are all very robust bodied fish, she makes strong babies lol plus she's a big girl herself too, almost 3 inches

Awesome! Several of the fry had these markings.

Mom is the lower one in this photo, the upper one is an older offspring I kept long before I got the wag male
View attachment 110620

Dad
View attachment 110621

The babies I've kept from mom are all very robust bodied fish, she makes strong babies lol plus she's a big girl herself too, almost 3 inches
Well, if this male is the father, you´ve got hybrids as an offspring for the male is a variatus platy while the mother is a maculatus platy. Which could be true if I look at those offspring. Their bodies are a bit more stretched than a regular maculatus platy. Have you notice that already...?

Well, if this male is the father, you´ve got hybrids as an offspring for the male is a variatus platy while the mother is a maculatus platy. Which could be true if I look at those offspring. Their bodies are a bit more stretched than a regular maculatus platy. Have you notice that already...?
These fry were a lot longer in the body compared to the blue mickey mouse fry from mom before, yes.

Is hybridization an issue with the fancier platies?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back