Platy Fry Question?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Malex530

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone! im not exactly sure im posting in the right forum but i am going to ask the question anyway. 

So about a week ago i noticed i had a few baby platies in my tank. it has been a week and now they are about .4 inches. One has black outlined on his fins and one has just regular clear fins. Just a few minutes ago i noticed that the one with black fins was almost "showing off" to the other one. its fins are flared and it is swimming in front of the other one. Could they be mating? Any other ideas? 

it most likely is showing off, my males will do that to each other, to then get the female's attention.. if you look at the anal fin, if it is a triangle it is female, if it is long then it is a male.

BerryAttack said:
it most likely is showing off, my males will do that to each other, to then get the female's attention.. if you look at the anal fin, if it is a triangle it is female, if it is long then it is a male.
As fry too?

They are not mating yet. But they fight for their position in the hierarchy. I have seen that a lot with young livebearers.

Most reactions

Back