Platy fry control

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Tuckerman821

Reaction score
Hello
I currently have a 55 gallon tank with 3 females and 1 male platy. Along with a male beta, 10 cories, 8 Pygmy cories, 8 ottos and a BN Pleco. Recently Iā€™ve noticed more platy fry surviving. It's fine at the moment as I wanted a few more than just the 4, but I donā€™t want an overpopulation. Iā€™ve been thinking about adding a cichlid or something to help keep them in check but Iā€™m unsure of what to add.
Are angelfish appropriate for this tank? If I add any angels I will move the beta to one of my ten gallons that will be empty sooner or later. But if I do add angels how many would be appropriate.
If not angels what other fish would be appropriate, Iā€™ve tried appistogramma in the past but have never had success.
Thanks in advance for any help :)

Attachments

• 34DF8ABE-30DC-485B-91DF-01241DADFC00.jpeg
    34DF8ABE-30DC-485B-91DF-01241DADFC00.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 27
The angels would do a good job to control the platy population for sure. Looking at your tank 2 or 3 angels would be okay. I would start with two if I look at their growing potential.

The angels would do a good job to control the platy population for sure. Looking at your tank 2 or 3 angels would be okay. I would start with two if I look at their growing potential.
Ok, what genders for the angels? Iā€™ve been keeping fish for a few years now but donā€™t have any experience with angels. Im not opposed to them breeding as I doubt any eggs with survive with my snail population.
Itā€™s ironic because Iā€™m not opposed to platy fry at all, Iā€™m raising about 60 of them right now, I just donā€™t want to have to tear apart this tank to catch the fry.

Ok, what genders for the angels?
The genders don't matter. With angels it's always a guess wether they'll be peaceful or aggressive. You just can not know it beforehand. But if they breed they can definitely be aggressive towards other fish that come to close to where they're got their eggs sticking.

Most reactions

trending

Back