Platy Death And Guppy Sick

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Steiffbear

Reaction score
Hello There

This is my first post on a forum (though I read many!) I did put it on another part of this site and was advised to add it here for specific advice.

I have a community tank (125 litres) tropical, it's been set up for 11 months. I've recently lost 1 male and 1 female guppy and 1 platy from the same symptons. I have another platy and a guppy also showing signs of illness.

Basically, they have become very thin very quickly, their tail fins have been less 'flared' out but they are still eating and swimming around the tank. The guppy is also slighty bowed in shape. All other fish are fine these are;

5 blue neon tetra
4 black neon tetra
2 dalmation mollies
1 pleco (Chinese Hillstream Loach)
1 pakistani loach (yo-yo) I Will be getting more following advice received today
1 male siamese fighter - (very docile) I Will be putting in it's own tank following advice received today
1 female siamese fighter
4 various coloured platy

I went to the pet store today who have suggested my fish have a type of bacteria/fin rot which affects their internal organs (hense the weight loss) and advised me to try using a treatment over 3 days (eSHa 2000)

I'm soon to be changing to a 200L tank and will be looking to purchase more fish but I want to get this illness sorted first

If anyone else experienced this and can offer any advice I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to lose anymore fish

It could also be internal parasites like camallanous worms.

Signs are.
Long stringy white poo, clear mucas poo, red poo.
Worms sticking out of the anus.
Enlarged anus, red inflamed anus.
Fish will look skinny or bloated.
Sometimes bent spine.
Sometimes the fish will swim on it's side.
Sunken in belly.

Hello There

This is my first post on a forum (though I read many!) I did put it on another part of this site and was advised to add it here for specific advice.

I have a community tank (125 litres) tropical, it's been set up for 11 months. I've recently lost 1 male and 1 female guppy and 1 platy from the same symptons. I have another platy and a guppy also showing signs of illness.

Basically, they have become very thin very quickly, their tail fins have been less 'flared' out but they are still eating and swimming around the tank. The guppy is also slighty bowed in shape.(This is due to the illness, the fish are struggling with their tail weight, they just dont have the strength to raise it).All other fish are fine these are;

5 blue neon tetra
4 black neon tetra
2 dalmation mollies (Mollies are not really community fish as often stated. They dont often live half as long as they should as they require slightly brackish conditions, a PH of around 8 and hard water)1 pleco (Chinese Hillstream Loach)
1 pakistani loach (yo-yo) I Will be getting more following advice received today
1 male siamese fighter - (very docile) I Will be putting in it's own tank following advice received today (Good. Also a fighter ratio of 1:1 isn't a good idea)1 female siamese fighter
4 various coloured platy

I went to the pet store today who have suggested my fish have a type of bacteria/fin rot (Finrot is noticable on the fins. Will look torn and missing in places) which affects their internal organs (hense the weight loss) and advised me to try using a treatment over 3 days (eSHa 2000)(Unfamiliar with this)
I'm soon to be changing to a 200L tank and will be looking to purchase more fish but I want to get this illness sorted first

If anyone else experienced this and can offer any advice I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to lose anymore fish

You really need to test the water. I suspect this may be the issue. If this is check out to be ok, then internal Parasite are a possibility. Beaware though that fancy guppies which are commonly found in LFS are often a result of poor breeding and a lot do not fair well. This is quite common.

Water stats would be good I agree.

hi how long as the tank been up
and running and do you know your
water stats

Most reactions

trending

Back