Platy Dead, Stringy Poo, Unsure Of Illness. Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

blueboy1

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Firstly, I know this is the second time in a week, but, I woke to a dead Mickey nose platy this morning and only just goin time to write this. It was struggling the night before with stringy poo and seemed in distress, so three days ago I fed de shelled crushe up peas to my whole tank as others also looked slightly bloated, and then didn't feed them again for two days. All fish returned to normal except this platy and another male platy who still looks bloated. I also have a female sailfin Molly who since dropping a ton of fry has had her gills slightly sticking out but on look it doesn't seem I can see anything but I don't know. Last but not least I have another male sailfin who has the yellow color on it becoming white towards to back part of the fish. The front end is full and healthy coloured and it is just the yellow color not the black Orr silver dots becoming white. I'm sorry for such a write up but I just want to make sure all is clear in my tank. There is thre questions I know ... :(

Request Help

Tank size: 200l
pH:7
ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate:10
tank temp: 26

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
Platy was staying at top of tank heavy breathing stringy poo, no discolouration. Female sailfin Molly no discolouration, normal behaviour all over tank just gills sticking out a little, also normal behaviour from male sailfin just discolouration. All fish eat perfectly fine.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: weekly

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: non

Tank inhabitants: around 20 mixed livebearers, 5 sterbia corydoras 3 bronze corydoras 4 neons and a bristlenose plec

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): live plants

Exposure to chemicals:non

Digital photo (include if possible):non sorry but possibly get some in morning

I'm sorry again for huge write up just want this sorted. I worry way too much but I'm thinking internal issues?

This could be internal parasites, there's a girl here called star4 who will know more about this....
Also some Molly's when they mature will change colour slightly, this is nothing to worry about, but keep an eye on him to see if there are any other symptoms as velvet can cause this also.
You mentioned another female Molly with sticky out gills, she has just given birth and her immune system is probably a bit low from the pregnancy, I would do a50% water change and see if you can get hold of some vitamin enriched food/live bearer vitamins.

I did a water change day before last, I will get some vitamin enriched as well as one that fights internal parasites, can you recommend foods or treatments that are in the uk? I've looked before and found nothing for internal parasite food?!? Thanks for the help too

Ah, I'm in the uk and i found it difficult to get food that contains anti parasitic meds, in the end I got sera nematol from amazon, it was pricey but it was worth it.

Oh yes you can do two doses with that amount.... That's for a 400 litre tank so you will only need half of that dose.
It worked pretty well actually. I had two deaths before I used it, my whole tank was affected but after using this I didn't have anymore deaths and my fish were not bloated anymore.
I also starved them and used the pea trick after so they can pass the dead worms.
No worries about the help :)

I've just been thinking, will the food I ordered, that you suggested, have any negative effect on my fish if they don't have internal parasites? Thanks again nic, much appreciated help!

Not really, if you suspect that one fish have internal parasites then the whole tank is probably infected, worms will slowly make all the fish deteriorate so the medication is the best treatment for all the tank. The vitamin enriched food will also give all your fish a healthy boost!
Also if they don't have any worms then giving them the meds probably won't do them any harm as long as you follow the instructions properly.... There's no real way to tell if they do or don't unless you dissect an already dead fish before treatment :)

So, just found two dead fish in my tank, one neo tetra that had a HOLE in its stomach like fish had been pecking at it for hours, and a sterbai corydora baby added to the tank two weeks ago, upside down dead. What could this be?!?

odd! With the hot weather, have you been monitoring the water temp?
Did the two other fish show any symptoms?

I think that you should start a new tread and see if you can get more suggestions?
There is a general cure from tetra that you can use... But I suggest that another thread may get some more answers?

The tetra could of been eaten, or again it could be parasites eating the fish from within?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back