Platy behaviour

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jordannegiudici

Reaction score
My platy keeps going for a wee nip at all the females whenever they get close when she's swimming about? Never seen it before
IMG_20200603_073036.jpg

Likely pregnant, and many times females can lash out towards others out of the blue the closer they come to dropping fry.

Or just settling out the pecking order, since livebearers usually keep a loose hierarchy amongst themselves.

I agree with NC ;) she should setting down after birthing

Females tend to be a little touche' the closer they get to giving birth. She may be tellling the other fish to keep their distance. Are there plenty of hiding places in your tank? Are you planing on saving any of the fry? Try dimming the lights to help her relax. If she relaxes and feels safe it will be easier for her to give birth and less stressful. Many live bearers die giving birth due to stress.

Females tend to be a little touche' the closer they get to giving birth. She may be tellling the other fish to keep their distance. Are there plenty of hiding places in your tank? Are you planing on saving any of the fry? Try dimming the lights to help her relax. If she relaxes and feels safe it will be easier for her to give birth and less stressful. Many live bearers die giving birth due to stress.
I never seen her act like that the first time around, she last gave me fry 2 weeks ago today, I wasn't prepared the first time she did but have since bought a good few plants, i am hoping to try and save some, I have put a blue light cover on my lights to dim it a bit but other than that there's only an on/off switch

I only have a on/off too so I turn of the tank lights off and only have the light in the room. They will sometime drop several small groups of fry over a week or two depending on how stressed/safe they feel. It is a survival method for the fry, when she feels safe she may drop more. Good luck

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back