Platy And Molly?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KrystaK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have two platy's (male and female) and a molly in my tank. I got them around a month ago and I'm just wondering if anyone could tell if either of them are pregnant. I would really like to add more fish my collection, the free way :p
The fact that I have a male and female platy makes me wonder why I haven't seen any fry - even if I have only had them a month, I figured my female should be fatter than she appears.

Here is the Molly (Spot), she's a dalmatian so it's basically impossible to tell by a gavid spot.
fishyprego005.jpg

My female platy, the orange and black one is called Shy, 'cause that's what she is. She looks sort of pregnant, but she`s been this size since I got her and though the male has shown interest in her I don`t they`ve done anything. The temp. in the tank is on the low side at 75 ish, but that wouldn`t slow down her fry development very much if she were pregnant would it?
fishyprego009.jpg

fishyprego008.jpg

So what do people think? Is one or both expecting? And how far along do we think they are if they are expecting?

Ok :p some of the pictures I've seen on here show the platy's huge so I was wodnering why Shy wasn't getting big, since i figured she would, maybe I'll be lucky and just get a few to concentrate on, rather than a bazillion to worry about and watch her eat :eek:

My platys just had 14 fries about 2 weeks ago and so far they are all alive and swimming very freely ; ) good luck with yours!

my platy never looked very big. She just had a big dark spot. And she spawned 25 little guys, 9 of which survived. Good luck to you and grats!!

Young females don't have so many fry (the plural of 'fry' is 'fry'. btw; not 'fries') and so don't get as large as older females.

I'd say the platy has about a week (although it could be sooner) and the molly maybe two weeks yet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back