Platty Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fred37

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a couple of sick looking plattys in my tank.
My stats are as follows:

64L tank.
3 live plants.
NH4: 0.1.
NO3: 10.
NO2: 0.
Temp 78 Deg.

Feeding fish once every 2 days.
Feeding plants at point of each water change with JBL Ferropol per directions.
25% water changes every 7-10 days using RO water from reliable LFS.

2 Harlequins.
3 neon tetras.
2 mollys.
2 plattys.
1 Otocinclus.
1 Flying Fox.
3 guppys.

My plattys only ever seem to last for about 3-4 weeks before they die. The two I currently have , have been fine up until yesterday when I noticed that the tail on 1 of them, instead of being spread in the usual fan shape, was actually elongated almost to a point and today it has spent a lot of time resting at the bottom of the tank. Today the second platty also keeps resting on the bottom of the tank and when doing this is also showing similar signs with its tail. There are no signs of any aggression in the tank and no signs of damage to any of the fish. I've completed a water change today but there's no sign of any improvement.
Can anyone shed any light on what's happening?

Thanks,
Fred.

do partial water change twice per week. and also want to know hat do you feed to your fish?

do partial water change twice per week. and also want to know hat do you feed to your fish?

Hi DL,

I feed the fish with Tetra Pro flake/crisp. Every now and again (couple of times a month) I give them bloodworm.
I see you've recommended twice weekly water changes....but on what basis, as aren't my readings OK?
Regards,
Fred.

as you mentioned earlier that your NH4: 0.1.
since it is recommended that it should be zero ppm. so i said change water twice per week...

you can feed dry frozen bloodworms daily, no problem...wait, what do you feed? either live bloodworm or dry frozen bloodworm? if dry frozen bloodworm, then no problem....

as you mentioned earlier that your NH4: 0.1.
since it is recommended that it should be zero ppm. so i said change water twice per week...

you can feed dry frozen bloodworms daily, no problem...wait, what do you feed? either live bloodworm or dry frozen bloodworm? if dry frozen bloodworm, then no problem....

Hi DL,
I actually use frozen bloodworms or red mosquito larvae. I stopped feeding daily months ago as I was having trouble with algae and controlling the water stats and hence the every two days cycle.
My sick platty died overnight and the other one is now resting on the bottom a lot more. I've taken my water readings again today as I did a water change yesterday and my NH4 is now 0.
It seems strange that only the plattys seem to be affected...are they more susceptible to water conditions than my other fish, or might there be some other disease/infection that is in my tank and only attacking them?
Thanks,
Fred.

so your water condition is perfect :good:
hence i think it was attacked by some other fishes that you have in your aquarium :angry:
i am in doubt that Flying Fox and Otocinclus are compatible with platys or not. the other fishes that you have are completely compatible fishes with platy, but those 2 fishes are not :angry: :sad:

so your water condition is perfect :good:
hence i think it was attacked by some other fishes that you have in your aquarium :angry:
i am in doubt that Flying Fox and Otocinclus are compatible with platys or not. the other fishes that you have are completely compatible fishes with platy, but those 2 fishes are not :angry: :sad:

Hi DL,
thanks for that......I used to have Danios and they used to chase everything but I've never seen the Flying Fox or Otocinclus show any interest in any of the fish in the tank and so it's all a bit of a mystery.
Regards,
Fred.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back