Platties Sitting On Bottom Of Tank And Hiding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

val v

Reaction score
I have kept fish for many years and recently transferred to larger tank keeping old water in and treated new water, there were nothing but platties in. Added six tetras about three weeks ago (1 died) and 5 mollies two weeks ago(3 died suddenly). Now the platties are sat at the bottom or hiding under or in the ornaments. Sometimes they are trying to swim like mad but getting nowhere, tried turning off the filter in case it was too fast but it makes no difference. Noticed a bit of white spot tonight which I will treat tomorrow. Anybody explain the odd behaviour please?

Theres every chance the new fish have brought some form of illness into the tank which would explain the loss of your new fish. As you said get some anti-ich treatment and start treating that. Leave the filter on, thats very important. If you have an air stone its best to use it now, position it nearer the filter outlet and this will spread the O2 in the water around the tank. O2 in the tank will make it easier for your fish to recover.

I can't confirm, hopefully someone else can, and untill someone does don't do this next bit. A pinch of salt in the water can also help fish recover, but how much i don't know - you don't want to turn the tank brackish or marine. As i said, someone can confirm that last bit and advise how much if true.

Theres every chance the new fish have brought some form of illness into the tank which would explain the loss of your new fish. As you said get some anti-ich treatment and start treating that. Leave the filter on, thats very important. If you have an air stone its best to use it now, position it nearer the filter outlet and this will spread the O2 in the water around the tank. O2 in the tank will make it easier for your fish to recover.

I can't confirm, hopefully someone else can, and untill someone does don't do this next bit. A pinch of salt in the water can also help fish recover, but how much i don't know - you don't want to turn the tank brackish or marine. As i said, someone can confirm that last bit and advise how much if true.
Thanks for that. I started the white spot treatment. Agree probably something wrong with the new mollies, another looking sick and raggy. I only turned the filter off temporarily to see if the flow was causing the odd swimming behaviour as my old tank had the old fashioned under gravel filtration system and thought they were not used to the flow! I'll get the air stone today if I can. The old tank was a long one 15"high or so and this is the modern taller style, maybe they are not used to heights!

Thanks for that. I started the white spot treatment. Agree probably something wrong with the new mollies, another looking sick and raggy. I only turned the filter off temporarily to see if the flow was causing the odd swimming behaviour as my old tank had the old fashioned under gravel filtration system and thought they were not used to the flow! I'll get the air stone today if I can. The old tank was a long one 15"high or so and this is the modern taller style, maybe they are not used to heights!

Just to let you know verminator my platties are now behaving normally, think it was delayed stress from the move of tank, perhaps the white spot treatment helped their general health.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back