Platinum/Creamsicle Lyretail Molly with tiny black spots?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

brokenoob!

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've had the most amazing Platinum Lyretail Molly named Pearl for just over two months now. She has the biggest personality I've ever seen, if I get within 5 feet of the glass she comes up to me and...it sounds crazy but literally almost wags her tail in excitement like a dog haha, I love her a lot. She is a prolific breeder, she gave birth to 13 fry about a month ago and now is very visibly pregnant again, feel like she could give birth any day now.

Here's my problem: for the past two weeks I noticed some tiny black spots developing on her tail, and now a couple large spots have formed on the top of her head and bordering her top fin. It honestly doesn't seem to affect her, she's extremely active, has a HUGE appetite, and gets along with everyone in the tank. Speaking of, here are some stats:

Ammonia/Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.8
Hardness/GH: Extremely hard, I don't have a test kit that can measure how high it is, but let's say 18dGH
kH: 5.3dkH (I had a weird random plummet of kH recently (about a week ago) and had to get an alkaline buffer to sort it out...still trying to raise it).
Temp: 78 degrees
Filtration: A Topfin Silenstream HOB filter and a sponge filter
Tankmates: 6 Endlers, 2 otocinclus, 7 fire red CS, 1 Pink Great Ramshorn snail.

I have no idea what this could be but I'm including some pics to give you a better idea. I don't think her life is in danger, she's really a happy fish, but I'm worried it could get worse and want to get in front of it!

Also--I noticed a couple of these spots the first time she was pregnant, but they went away and now are suddenly back and much more aggressive. Could it be the pregnancy?

Attachments

• IMG_7912.JPG
    IMG_7912.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_8178.JPG
    IMG_8178.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 147
Probably just colour but monitor it over the next few months and post more pictures if it spreads, which it might. But as long as she is eating well and swimming normally, I wouldn't worry too much.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back