Plating Monti Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jameshughes1989

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Right, for the life of me I cant seem to keep SPS. I am having trouble with my red plating monti. Here are some snaps:

DSCF2024.jpg

DSCF2025.jpg

You can see the problem at the bottom, a wee bit on the right and the top left went white and now looks dead. It used to be a bright red but as you can see it isnt very colourful anymore. What would cause this?

The monti is 3/4 inches away from a Kr-91 with medium flow. Parameters are:

No3: 4
Mag: 1500
Cal: 430
Kh: 10.2
Po4: Reads 0 but I feel the test is inacurrate so need a new one.

Surely that No3 reading shouldnt be too bad? Would high Po4 do this?

Cheers for any help.

High phosphates will cause SPS to bleach in a heartbeat. And when you say 3/4 inches from the light, do you mean 3 to 4, or three-quarters? Try moving it down some, it may be getting too much light, did you acclimate it to your light, and how long have you had it?

Cheers for the reply. It is 3-4 icnhes from the light just to clarify. I have had it ages and acclimatised it upwards slowly. I have had it since it was very very small. I think I may need to invest in a new Po4 kit as my Salifert one says 0.

On another forum a member noticed in the pic that there is an aptasia near it and this may be causing the issue. I have since moved it and will get some more aptasia-x.Other than that I dont know what is wrong,

Cheers

the standard phosphate tests are inaccurate anyway, get a high sensitivty one like th D-D.

also what lighting is it in? you should always start SPS on the sand and move them upwards of the next couple of weeks as they suffer light shock easily.

which way did you acclimatise it? the drip method? this doesnt do very well for SPS, float the bag to match temps. then open it and take the coral out of the water and leave it in the open air for 5 mins. this causes the coral to mucas up, you then add it straight to your tank. Its mucas will gradually disapear as the coral gets more used to your tank!

float the bag to match temps. then open it and take the coral out of the water and leave it in the open air for 5 mins. this causes the coral to mucas up, you then add it straight to your tank. Its mucas will gradually disapear as the coral gets more used to your tank!

This is what I've been told to do with SPS also :good:

Sorry for the late reply guys. Cheers for the input. I have had the coral for ages, I have grown it from a 3cm frag. It is under an eco-lamp kr-91 and has been for a while so no light shock. I have since found an aiptasia is stinging the coral so this may be an issue. Today I have added 2 peppermint shrimps so hopefully they will take care of it.

Ps: Cheers for the tip with the SPS, I never knew that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back