Plastic Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just_Another_One

Fishaholic
Reaction score
is it possible to place a small heater in a 2.7g plastic tank, my bettas water feels a little on the chilly side. does anyone here do it if so what kind do they or is best to use, thanks

most of the heaters i been lookin at say glass or acrylic tanks , not sure what acrylic is, is it the same as plastic?, i just wouldnt want it to morph or melt my tank and harm my betta

Acrylic is a type of transparent plastic. It's very common to use heaters in acrylic tanks or even plastic bins without any problem. For your small tank, a 25W or smaller heater would be more than sufficient. I'd find one with a temp control knob so you can set it. If you can only find a 50W heater, that will work (as long as you can fit it into the tank, that is).

The heater mentioned by rollntider is OK for raising the ambient temp of the tank up and is ideal for small plastic tanks, but beware that there is no heater control on it not that that should be an issue but a thermometer is recommended.

Just thought I'd mention, theres been a lot of discussion about using the thermostat controlled 25w in tiny tanks. I recently had a pile of guppy fry and nowhere for them to go. They spent two weeks in a one gallon plastic tupperware container with a 25w heater and overpowered sponge filter. The heater worked like a charm and never went overboard and cooked the fish.

Alot of people worry at first whether or not a plastic tank will do well with a heater. I can assure you three of my tanks are plastic (acrylic) and they do just fine with a heater. :)
Even tupperware (weaker plastic) does just fine with heaters.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back