Plastic Storage box for QT tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

imw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to get a QT tank up and running, Thinking of using a 45 ltr plastic storage box from my local hardware store (nice and cheap),

So is this ok and if I do not have light is this OK ?

The box will be below a window (not directly in the light). _

Thoughts ?

ATB

Tets

I have a main tank without a light, so that should be fine. I’d think anything that holds enough water will be good for emergency use?

I frequently use a 5 gallon pail with a sponge filter to qt or treat sick fishes. Same idea....

This will be fine for quarantine, you will only need a light if you have plants, the fish won't mind, I have some swordtails in one with a sponge filter at the moment, will need a heater too depending on what fish you plan to put in there.

Plastic storage containers make great breeding, rearing and quarantine tanks. have the lid on them to stop the container bulging out sideways and to stop the fish going over the edge. You can use a hacksaw to cut a hold in the lid and glue some bits to it so it can be used as a small lid to feed the fish.

The only drawback to fish in plastic storage containers is if they get sick, it's hard to photograph them.

Try to get food safe storage containers and give them a wash with warm soapy water, then rinse well before using them.

I'm not sure they are good for frys. I had some angel frys and split them between a pail and a 29. The ones that could see out the side definitely did better and were a lot calmer. The ones in the pail became very skittish over time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back