Plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

chigwellhammer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Iā€™m about to do an online order of plants and just want to confirm these will all be good beginner plants? I have just sand in my tank.

- Vallis Torta
- Amazon Sword
- Hygrophila Polysperma
- Sagittaria Subulata

Thanks,

Iā€™m about to do an online order of plants and just want to confirm these will all be good beginner plants? I have just sand in my tank.

- Vallis Torta
- Amazon Sword
- Hygrophila Polysperma
- Sagittaria Subulata

Thanks,

Yes, nothing fussy there. Personally I would probably replace the Sagittaria subulata with the chain sword, either the smaller plant Helanthium tenellum (formerly and perhaps still seen as Echinodorus tenellus) or the slightly larger (longer and wider leaves) Helanthium bolivianum (formerly Echinodorus quadricostatus). I have had very good luck with the swords but not the very similar Sagittaria, and I know of some others with the same experience. But you might have better luck!

I would find a floating plant though; this is the most beneficial plant for an aquarium of forest fish. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta) is incredible once established, and there is also Frogbit and Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes). Perhaps these instead of the Hygrophila? Stem plants need good light, more than the other mentioned plants here.

Yes, nothing fussy there. Personally I would probably replace the Sagittaria subulata with the chain sword, either the smaller plant Helanthium tenellum (formerly and perhaps still seen as Echinodorus tenellus) or the slightly larger (longer and wider leaves) Helanthium bolivianum (formerly Echinodorus quadricostatus). I have had very good luck with the swords but not the very similar Sagittaria, and I know of some others with the same experience. But you might have better luck!

I would find a floating plant though; this is the most beneficial plant for an aquarium of forest fish. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta) is incredible once established, and there is also Frogbit and Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes). Perhaps these instead of the Hygrophila? Stem plants need good light, more than the other mentioned plants here.

Thank you :) I have actually purchased a floating plant already called Salvinia? Hope this will be ok.

Hygrophila polysperma is a good plant to begin with. It closes its leaves up against the stem when it has had enough light. If you leave the light on for an hour after that happens, then all the plants should get sufficient light.

Water Sprite and Duckweed are the best floating plants for aquariums. Most other floating plants don't do well under low light or in tanks with coverglass. The covers cause too much humidity and the plants get fungal infections and rot.

I used to have Salvinia back when I had Juwel Rio 125. This tank does not have cover glasses, just a light bar running from side to side with full width opening flaps in front of and at the back of the light bar. The Salvinia was great for several years, I regularly had to remove handfuls it grew so well. Then one summer during a heatwave it all turned brown and died. One tip I was given at the time was to leave the lid flaps open during hot weather, but it was too far gone by then.
Try it and see, if it behaves like mine you'll get several years out of it.

Thanks for the tips, Should I buy any root tabs to place in the sand?

And any liquids I could purchase to add to the water once a week to help the plants?

My Salvinia has been fine during the recent hot spell. Tank lid is as @essjay describes. I sometimes open the flaps in the evening but they are not open all the time due to 2 very inquisitive cats. I leave the little feeding hole open and that seems to be enough. My outdoor goldfish get several handfuls of Salvinia per week. I do dose with Seachem flourish comprehensive twice per week at half the recommended dosage.

Thanks for the tips, Should I buy any root tabs to place in the sand?

And any liquids I could purchase to add to the water once a week to help the plants?

You have some heavy feeders (especially the larger swords) so substrate tabs do improve those. A comprehensive liquid may help too. I use Seachem's Flourish Tabs and Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium (liquid). Nothing else is needed, and might cause trouble. Plant nutrients have to be balanced and these products are.

The Salvinia was great for several years, I regularly had to remove handfuls it grew so well.
To give you an idea of how much...
My tank is 100cm x 50cm (i.e. half a square metre). I thinned mine out on Saturday. Today (Tuesday) I scooped some out with my hands for the goldfish pond. I completely filled a 1 liter jug. After removing a full litre of the plant the surface of my tank is still completely covered over :)

Canadian pondweed is also good though a bit invasive

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back