Plants

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SeanTrollope

Fish Addict
Reaction score
please give me info no these plants plant3.jpgi thought this one was one plant but each stem is a plant

plant2.jpg

plant1.jpg

Might help if you put this in the Plant ID section and have the photos right way up! lol

I'm pretty sure the last one you posted is Lilaeopsis.

The first one....is it ambulia?  or maybe Milfoil?  A bit hard to tell in the photo.

The second pic - is it a narrow leaf amazon sword?

I'm not an expert, but they would be my guesses.

I did the same thing when I first got plants, just planted the whole pot into the substrate. What you need to do is separate the stems of the first and third plant, it'll grow a lot better and fill out your tank.

the third one is seperated andout of its pot but the plant has grown into its self but the first one is still in its sponge because each stem is a different plant and they dont really have roots yet and i dont know what to do

I would divide the stem plant; remove all the stems from the rock wool (the "sponge" material) and then plant them in small groupings of say three or four stems each, wherever you want them.  The lower leaves may die and fall off the stems, and this will occur faster if they are left clumped together; light cannot reach this area and the growing ends will grow toward the light.  Put enough of the lower end of the stems into the substrate to anchor the plants well, or they may float out.

Byron.

how fast do all of these plants roots take to get a firm grip in the unused ugf and gravel. what are these plants growth rates as they have already grown a lot.

SeanTrollope said:
how fast do all of these plants roots take to get a firm grip in the unused ugf and gravel. what are these plants growth rates as they have already grown a lot.

Each species has a basic growth rate and this varies from species to species.  As well, the rate of growth of plants within one species can vary due to the lighting and nutrients in each aquarium.  I have never really kept track of rooting, it just happens and once I plant I tend to leave it alone so it can establish.

Byron said:
I would divide the stem plant; remove all the stems from the rock wool (the "sponge" material) and then plant them in small groupings of say three or four stems each, wherever you want them.  The lower leaves may die and fall off the stems, and this will occur faster if they are left clumped together; light cannot reach this area and the growing ends will grow toward the light.  Put enough of the lower end of the stems into the substrate to anchor the plants well, or they may float out.

Byron.

SeanTrollope said:
i want them in the same place that they r in now

Byron said:

Byron.
i did devide them but two groups of them did not want to stay so i cut the metal thing that was holding the sponge on and put it on then it occoured to me that i might be coated in plastic and exposing it to the water might cause issues what should i do

i did devide them but two groups of them did not want to stay so i cut the metal thing that was holding the sponge on and put it on then it occoured to me that i might be coated in plastic and exposing it to the water might cause issues what should i do

I plant stem plants as I've suggested previously I think.  Simply take several stems and bury them down into the substrate.  Usually one removes the leaves on the buried portion of the stems, but here I would leave them as it will help to hold them down.  Bury about 3 inches of the stem.  Not strictly vertical, but wind the stems around a bit and push them into the substrate, then carefully move the adjacent substrate around the clump.  Hope that makes sense.  If the stems refuse to stay down due to fish, you can place small bits of rock around the stems.

i have put as mush of them in the gravel as possible but it does not help they just pull out even without fish in the tank

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back