Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Great Lakes

Always do right, not popular...
Reaction score
I like swords. Mostly because they seem to be hardy, and root well. Are there other types of plants that get large and sturdy? I really don't like most of the dainty stuff.

Swords are the main ones I would go with if you havent' got the green thumb. There are others (I'm running out the door so I'll get into this a bit more when I get home.) that you could do but I don't think they are as hardy as the swords are. Lord knows I can't keep the "frilly" and easy beginner plants alive for more than a couple of months before they die. I can keep all the harder to keep alive plants just fine. Go figure. Rose

There are so many different kinds of swords out there in all sizes. There are also plants called Cryptocoryne (Crypts for short) that do very well. You could also go with a variety of Wedtii. Java ferns and Java Moss are reported to do very well with non green thumbs. What you got would all depend on they system you have going on. (lights, substaite, pH, CO2, and much more). If you would like I could help you figure out what plants might work for you if you give me some info on your tank. Like all the stats of your tank. Rose

Rose, the stats of my tank is an empty 29gal. See my kitty litter thread. I divied them up to get a few more responses and some diversity,(see my admin post). I want to start this tank out with the intention of keeping some major green stuff.

Define "major green stuff". Does that mean High tech, low tech, hard to grow plants, easy to grow but with lots of it. What exactly does that mean. What do you hope to see your tank as when it's mature? Lot's of plant cover with little open space, wide open with green here an there, what? Rose

Rose I've got a few Swords. You'll see when I upload my Raindow tank photos. How do you stop plants from growning to fast. :what: If you can.
Or how to you keep them in check.

Until this year I've always had a problem with plants, now I've never bought any this year. and there in all my tanks 8)

I want some low thick stuff in the front, and gradually working taller to the back. I have had the moss before, but didn't really like the texture. I would really like something grasslike in the front. And I am going to shoot for heavily planted.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back