Plants turning black

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CA Archer

Reaction score
I am fairly new to planted tanks. I started one back in April of this year, did a lot of research on easiest plants for beginners, lighting etc. I wanted a low tech tank so I do not use any CO2. I have 2 Anubias, 2 Java Fern, Dwarf hairgrass, a driftwood centerpiece with Java moss, a tall plant I don't remember the name of maybe rotala? I currently have my light on a schedule of 5 hrs on, 4 hrs off, 5 hrs on. I use Easy Green All in One 1X per week, Aquarium Co-op Root tabs for the hairgrass, and use 2 Wonder shells. My PH is 6.8 and water parameters all seem fine. But all my plants seem to be turning black, especially my Java moss, although it still has new growth. My ferns have lots of black on the leaves and some leaves have melt going on. My Anubias have black also with small holes, but also has new growth. The tips of the hairgrass are turning black, but it still has new growth also. Could this just be from a potassium deficiency? Or do I have something else going on? Seems my low-tech, beginner friendly plants are not doing so well, lol

Can you post a clear photo of the entire tank (helps us see the plant load) and closeups as you think helpful.

What are the parameters--these refer to GH, pH, KH and temperature (I know the pH is 6.8, but the others are important here). And, what are nitrates?

Can you provide data on the light, even if just a link to the manufacturer, so we can see spectrum, etc.

Why wonder shells? Those aren't needed. Also those plants don't need 10 hours of light, try for 6-8. How many gallons/liters is your tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back