Plants outside of the tank...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Strmwrng

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Itā€™s been a couple of weeks since Iā€™ve been able to be here, and this is where Iā€™m at now...Iā€™ve re-homed my 3 Endlers and I and my cat (the entire reason for the fish tank!) miss them very much!, but; I found that what I was fighting wasnā€™t just any algae but that thing that was a bacto bacteria? Sorry, canā€™t remember itā€™s name :X ! So Iā€™ve torn down the tank (5 gal) and realize...Iā€™ve nowhere to place it that it doesnā€™t get sunlight!! Thatā€™s my frustration at this time. If I set it up in any place that doesnā€™t get some sunlight at certain times of year I canā€™t enjoy the tank where I spend most of my time.
So now to cut to the chase... while figuring that out, Iā€™ve taken out the 2 plants that I had left alive and am trying to keep them alive. So far, so good. The guppy grass is in a container and has the worst signs of the algae, the pogostemon helferi is in a separate clear glass pitcher with sand, a plant tablet and water, and it seems to be thriving, growing.
Can anyone please advise on how to keep these plants alive outside of the tank until I get it all schussed out and can get it going again? Do they need water changes? An air stone? Canā€™t find the info. Iā€™d like to start again with a heavily planted tank, just have to figure out my sunlight issue. Blackout curtains are an option for some of my windows, but not for all of them. Thanks so much for any thoughts!:fish:

Heater, water changes, and enough light. Especially if they are tropical plants. If they donā€™t have heat, they will die, because they were not created for cold water. The light is also necessary to keep them healthy.

How big is the container going to be?

Heater, water changes, and enough light. Especially if they are tropical plants. If they donā€™t have heat, they will die, because they were not created for cold water. The light is also necessary to keep them healthy.

How big is the container going to be?
Thanks! I didnā€™t think about a heater, good point. Theyā€™re currently in a water pitcher, in front of a window...weird that thereā€™s no algae growing in them but maybe thatā€™s because they donā€™t have a heater at this time? Iā€™ll have to find a bigger container if I add a heater so they donā€™t boil, or maybe theyā€™re ok cuz itā€™s 70* in my house. I appreciate your reply!

Most reactions

trending

Back