Plants not doing great, please help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Yeah I think maybe skipping the ferts in this case might help. Diatoms are common and will likely burn themselves out. Try and keep the leaves of the plants wiped clean and remove dead ones as mentioned.

I would consider getting some floating plants. The angles will appreciate the cover but probably not be able to do much damage to them. They are also great at removing nutrients from the water and giving some shade in the tank.
Definitely getting some floating plants! Any recommendations? I've seen a lot of people saying to avoid duckweed?!

I ordered duckweed on eBay after getting recommendations, think from here. Due in mail today or tomorrow.

If you have goldfish - I wouldn't recommend duckweed except as a healthy food. Duckweed is a goldfish favorite and doesn't last long at all in a goldfish tank. If ever a tank has a duckweed overgrowth issue - stick 2 goldfish in it and it'll be a problem NO LONGER in a heartbeat.

Definitely getting some floating plants! Any recommendations? I've seen a lot of people saying to avoid duckweed?!
I think the main reason people say to avoid duckweed is just because it is pretty hard to get rid of once you have it. It also grows super fast so can be a pain to deal with.

Water lettuce is a pretty good easy going plant. Hardy and grows reasonably fast but doesn't overrun the tank in a week.

I think the main reason people say to avoid duckweed is just because it is pretty hard to get rid of once you have it. It also grows super fast so can be a pain to deal with.

Water lettuce is a pretty good easy going plant. Hardy and grows reasonably fast but doesn't overrun the tank in a week.
Oh that's OK then. I don't mind the look of it and perhaps my angelfishs eating habits will help keep on top of things 😂

If you have goldfish - I wouldn't recommend duckweed except as a healthy food. Duckweed is a goldfish favorite and doesn't last long at all in a goldfish tank. If ever a tank has a duckweed overgrowth issue - stick 2 goldfish in it and it'll be a problem NO LONGER in a heartbeat.
wow! That’s incredible! Could they consume so much as to get sick?
i heard they liked fresh spinach & dropped a few leaves into the tank. They ignored them.

@JennySolano

Never had one get sick. Goldfish have extremely fast moving digestive systems and duckweed goes through them very quickly. Whenever I used to buy it hoping to grow it in my outdoor system, it never lasted long enough to propagate. Same goes for indoor systems with goldfish.

It's a nutritious and healthy food for them - some people grow it in a separate tank to just feed to them sometimes. It's especially helpful if there are no live plants or algae for the goldfish and its fed a pellet only diet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back