April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
C07239A1-952E-4CED-B2C2-AC4F575EC321.jpeg
Ok I ordered 50plants for my tank half have come today earlier than planned so thatā€™s good I guess , Iā€™m currently at work so canā€™t get them out of the bag just yet but asked my partner to just put them in a bucket of water till I get home, only thing I could think of , firstly Iā€™m a bit annoyed that they are all mixed up and together but from what I can see at the moment they look healthy enough , my question to you all is can anybody ID any of these off this photo il add more once Iā€™m home I particularly want to know if they have sent me non South American plants asthey are all supposed to be from South America and secondly are any of these real hard to keep like requiring co2 and stuff ? I know itā€™s hard to see in the bag but any identification would be great, cheers

I have a feeling I know where you got these from, based on the number and the packaging!

If my suspicion is right, just make sure you don't use these in a tank with inverts, or that you ever want to keep shrimp or snails in, since they were likely grown outside on the UK/EU, and so will have been sprayed with a pesticide that kills snails and shrimp.

For identification, squashed up in a bag makes that nigh on impossible! Come on dude... who could tell what they are like that?? :lol: ;)

When you're back, gently swish them in the bucket, remove any falling off leaves and the rotting bits at the bottom of the stems, then place in a glass container of water, or just bunched by type and weighted down, at the front of a fish-only tank, to get clear photos of them underwater. Easier to tell when they're underwater and viewed from the side.

The red one is an alternanthera, probably alternanthera reineckii. That's all I can tell so far!

I have a feeling I know where you got these from, based on the number and the packaging!

If my suspicion is right, just make sure you don't use these in a tank with inverts, or that you ever want to keep shrimp or snails in, since they were likely grown outside on the UK/EU, and so will have been sprayed with a pesticide that kills snails and shrimp.

For identification, squashed up in a bag makes that nigh on impossible! Come on dude... who could tell what they are like that?? :lol: ;)

When you're back, gently swish them in the bucket, remove any falling off leaves and the rotting bits at the bottom of the stems, then place in a glass container of water, or just bunched by type and weighted down, at the front of a fish-only tank, to get clear photos of them underwater. Easier to tell when they're underwater and viewed from the side.

The red one is an alternanthera, probably alternanthera reineckii. That's all I can tell so far!
I bought them from biotope aquatics and yeah they have been treating one of the plus sides of the purchase as I really didnā€™t want any rouge snails or stuff , main reason for ID really is if they are for more experienced plant keepers with high tech tanks I wonā€™t even bother putting them in the tank and I was honestly annoyed with the packaging and if there is any non South American plants in there Iā€™m going to send them back just out of principal

I bought them from biotope aquatics and yeah they have been treating one of the plus sides of the purchase as I really didnā€™t want any rouge snails or stuff , main reason for ID really is if they are for more experienced plant keepers with high tech tanks I wonā€™t even bother putting them in the tank and I was honestly annoyed with the packaging and if there is any non South American plants in there Iā€™m going to send them back just out of principal
Yeah, that was the supplier I thought! Bought from them before, won't again since I keep inverts. They did refund me after some pushing when they sent me a bunch of mostly dead plants last time.

I'm sure someone more experienced than I will be able to ID them once you have some underwater pics, I'm sure!

Yeah, that was the supplier I thought! Bought from them before, won't again since I keep inverts. They did refund me after some pushing when they sent me a bunch of mostly dead plants last time.

I'm sure someone more experienced than I will be able to ID them once you have some underwater pics, I'm sure!
Iv ordered from them before and yeah has been hit and miss but not gonna lie these were cheap and if they donā€™t root or grow Iā€™m not too fussed my severum will more than likely destroy all of them anyways ahahahaha

It costs a bit more but after spending loads on cheap plants I now only ever buy tissue cultured plants. Of the big brands you are unlikely to go wrong with Tropica in the UK. A slightly cheaper option if you prefer is an ebay seller called K2Aqua - always had success with his (or her?) plants

It costs a bit more but after spending loads on cheap plants I now only ever buy tissue cultured plants. Of the big brands you are unlikely to go wrong with Tropica in the UK. A slightly cheaper option if you prefer is an ebay seller called K2Aqua - always had success with his (or her?) plants
I mainly bought these because it said a random selection and Iā€™m mainly trying to find a few plants my severum wonā€™t eat so il add these see which ones donā€™t get beat up then possibly buy better quality version s of the survivors if that makes sense

Hopefully better photos not gonna lie I have no idea where in the tabk these plant or weather they float lol

Attachments

• 6BC2762B-168C-46C4-82D9-0FD30A347862.jpeg
    6BC2762B-168C-46C4-82D9-0FD30A347862.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 60
  • D2CDDEB0-55C8-4EF9-A09C-5169EE7677DA.jpeg
    D2CDDEB0-55C8-4EF9-A09C-5169EE7677DA.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 07FB8F25-5174-4DBC-BE3D-C3CA91E9CC68.jpeg
    07FB8F25-5174-4DBC-BE3D-C3CA91E9CC68.jpeg
    500.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 63FE857E-812B-426D-B1CE-4F0402DDE493.jpeg
    63FE857E-812B-426D-B1CE-4F0402DDE493.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 3F652884-376D-4B22-AD84-6AFF5E35E227.jpeg
    3F652884-376D-4B22-AD84-6AFF5E35E227.jpeg
    420.9 KB · Views: 59
  • EB98CFF2-5C8C-4941-A7DF-391EC07EBB5A.jpeg
    EB98CFF2-5C8C-4941-A7DF-391EC07EBB5A.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 58
  • BB9E3D0C-582F-477A-A670-C5F501CA0712.jpeg
    BB9E3D0C-582F-477A-A670-C5F501CA0712.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 62
From top left to right.
1st pic looks like Hygrophila costata or maybe ruba/ rubra. Some of the leaves look black and this can be damage.
2nd pic - needs to be in the water.
3rd pic - looks like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).

Second row of pictures, form left to right.
4th pic - looks like Hydrocotyle and it's suffering (yellow leaves).
5th pic - needs to be in water but possibly Milfoil (Myriophyllum).
6th pic - Baby tears or a type or Rotala.

Third row of pictures.
7th pic - pink or purple Alternanthera, belongs in the garden.

------------------
Put some of these in the aquarium but put a couple in a container of water outside and try to grow them outdoors. If they grow you can trim them and bring the cuttings in for the tanks.

Severums love plant matter in their diet and if you feed them plant matter in addition to normal fish foods, they will be less inclined to eating all of the aquarium plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back