Plants For My Aquarium

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

luckyliam13

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey guys was just wondering what plants would be suitible for my aquarium its got low lighting and gravel as a substrate and it has a big piece of bog wood. i had herd that java ferns and moss grow well on bog wood and survive well in low light conditions is this true?? any suggestions about low lighting plants and genrall planting tips would be grand i bought heeps of plants when i first got the tank and they all died :( so any help would be great

some low lighting aquatic plants are ->

java moss
java fern
anubias
water lili
amano moss
crypts
Giant Salvinia....

ya, in the bog wood you can add java moss, amano moss, java fern....

one that you can plant in the substrate is vallis they grow like crazy to :p

e.g http://www.aquamania.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=317&strPageHistory=related

ash

sick im going to the petshop on the weekend so ill have a look see whats cheep :p probz get valice java fern and java moss and my female golden gourami im so exited now :) ty for the advice!!

kind regards liam m

Once you get back from the lfs and you couldn't really find anything to attach to the bog wood. Anubias attach pretty readily and grow better attached to rocks or driftwood. If buried in the substrate they can die. But thats for most not all anubias.

Good luck!

would i get away with

2x golden gourami
2x honey gourami
1x rtbs
3x upside down cats

how would the golden gourami go with the honeys will they fight or would they get along???
is there any other schooling fish that will be hardy enough to get along with my shark??

What size tank do you have?

From what I've read rtbs are semi-aggresive chasers shouldn't nip or bite any of the fish. ( someone correct me if I'm wrong). They do become more aggresive with larger fish such as silver dollars and angelfish probably because they see them as a larger threat.

A bigger tank size might settle it down a little bit because they are territorial like most sharks so if they have there own corner they're happy.

If you have a well planted tank and plenty of hiding places the gouramis should be okay.

Just on the topic of plants:

I've got a low-light tank with a sand substrate. I added a bundle of Hygrophila about a month ago and it has taken off in the tank, almost doubling in height. I found that Wisteria, while beautiful, is very messy and was hard to get to "take" to my tank. Crypts are always a good option. I ordered mine online (the company stripped them of leaves so all I got was root structures, and a week later they're 5cm tall and still growing.) Frill is great for a cheap plant to fill in empty spaces. I've got frill in both my low-light 46 gallon, and my low-light 5 gallon. My cories love Frill because it provides low-cover for them.

Keep in mind that your Golden Gourami will reach a size of 6" while the honey gourami will only reach a size of 3", the rtbs will be 7" and each of the upside down cats will be 3-4". Depending on your tank size, they may grow too large to live comfortably in your tank.

As the upside down cat is a schooling fish, they're more comfortable in larger groups. While three would work, if you could get more in your tank, it would be better for them. What is your tank size?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back