Plants dying

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fish Buddy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Someone I was talking to said that they cannot keep plants, they look good for the first little while and then they turn yellow and die. They wanted to get a CO2 injector but I didn't know if that would help. It is a 20 gallon tank that they have and it is lighted with the standard 25watt tube that comes with a starter kit. They add iron and other plant fertilizers but the plants still die. Would a CO2 injuctor work? (it is not heavily stocked and she does not have fish that eat plants).

Ok.
They definitely need more light, at least 2 wpg. Most likely they're trying to grow some of the high light plants.
Then maybe they can put in co2.
Also, once they get better lighting, they might consider adding iron and flourish. :)

I suppose it depends on what they are trying to grow, perhaps the plants in the tank at the moment are entirely unsuited to the low level of light they are useing, the tank only has 1 watt per gallon so low light, and maybe the tube is unsuitable for plants as well.

But yes as has been said more light would help and co2 also.

Yea, I told her that she needed more light but it's kinda hard to add more light in a starter kit set up type canopy. We then asked a pet store employee and he said that the lighting was fine....(what does he know?) anyway, I guess my advice to her would be to grow low light plants.
Thanks for your help

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back