Plants are turning brown, going clear, breaking off, and have holes. Why is this?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

razoraptor

Reaction score
I've recently got into live plants for my aquarium, and they don't look healthy. I add the recommended amount of co2 everyday, use soil, and keep the LED lights on for about 8-10 hours a day.
pH is 7
nitrites/ammonia is 0
nitrates are 5.
I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. Could somebody please tell me what i need to improve?

Attachments

• PLANTR.jpg
    PLANTR.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 162
  • PLANT1.jpg
    PLANT1.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 147
Hi! They were just planted, yes? They are melting. They will melt for another week, and then roots will start to grow. In about 2 months your plants will be flourishing. I see swords and moneywort. You could probably do without co2. Just add fertilizer once a week, and root tabs for the swords. Correct me if I'm wrong on the plants.

Hi! They were just planted, yes? They are melting. They will melt for another week, and then roots will start to grow. In about 2 months your plants will be flourishing. I see swords and moneywort. You could probably do without co2. Just add fertilizer once a week, and root tabs for the swords. Correct me if I'm wrong on the plants.
yeah, they were planted about 2 weeks ago. I'll look for the fertilizer and root tabs, thank you!

Agree with HoldenOn, very common to see plants melting when being planted into a new tank, generally speaking they usually do come back once roots become more established.

Swords are heavy root feeders so the recommendation of root tabs is good advice.

I recommend Seachem Flourish Root Tabs, a little pricey compared to other brands but these are very good and one advantage of using those root tabs is that these won’t release nutrients into the water column.
Place the tabs near the plant in substrate and replace every 3 months or so.

A weekly dosage of liquid ferts will certainly be beneficial for those plants who take nutrients from the water column.

And hopefully that should help quite a bit in bringing your plants back and seeing good growth throughout.

Agree with HoldenOn, very common to see plants melting when being planted into a new tank, generally speaking they usually do come back once roots become more established.

Swords are heavy root feeders so the recommendation of root tabs is good advice.

I recommend Seachem Flourish Root Tabs, a little pricey compared to other brands but these are very good and one advantage of using those root tabs is that these won’t release nutrients into the water column.
Place the tabs near the plant in substrate and replace every 3 months or so.

A weekly dosage of liquid ferts will certainly be beneficial for those plants who take nutrients from the water column.

And hopefully that should help quite a bit in bringing your plants back and seeing good growth throughout.
I've gotten the root tabs, and the seachem flourish, does that work as a fertilizer?

The Seachem root tab is a fertiliser that’s planted beneath the substrate near plants.

The Seachem flourish, is this excel you speak of?

The Seachem root tab is a fertiliser that’s planted beneath the substrate near plants.

The Seachem flourish, is this excel you speak of?
No, it just says "flourish" on it, nothing after.

Attachments

• 16002778025542402124258487502285.jpg
    16002778025542402124258487502285.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 44
No, it just says "flourish" on it, nothing after.

Yep, that’s the correct one:good:

Was worried you got flourish excel, would not use that in tanks with livestock as it contains glutaraldehyde.

Potent stuff as one use for glutaraldehyde is to use it to sterilise equipment :blink:

So both your Seachem ferts will be fine to use, do follow the instructions on the packet / bottle exactly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back