Plants and floor coverage

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chunky's mom

Reaction score
I have some soft tall fake plants from Amazon. They are very soft and our new betta chunky loves laying in them but I keep seeing small parts floating. They are thin like hair so at first I thought that's what they were somehow
Also don't know what to do with floor of the tank. I put fake moss/grass stuff from Amazon it gets here tomorrow.. this poor first the heater died so thats coming tomorrow. I guess one of my 9 yr old granddaughters gave him a little food it's been floating. I just went to check on him. There is lots of stuff floating around. My hand pump thing fell apart so another thing coming tomorrow. I don't know what to do. I can't have live plants. Will the bottom cover thing be OK? Any suggestions on fake cheap plants? This is a pic of the tank now. I'm so upset I moved the stuff a little to try to get the heater to work. You would never know this tank was cleaned and a fish was just put in a couple days ago. He is swimming around now that the gunk has settled.

Attachments

• 20211013_161808.jpg
    20211013_161808.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20211013_161620.jpg
    20211013_161620.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 45
  • 20211013_161539.jpg
    20211013_161539.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 44
I have some soft tall fake plants from Amazon. They are very soft and our new betta chunky loves laying in them but I keep seeing small parts floating. They are thin like hair so at first I thought that's what they were somehow
Also don't know what to do with floor of the tank. I put fake moss/grass stuff from Amazon it gets here tomorrow.. this poor first the heater died so thats coming tomorrow. I guess one of my 9 yr old granddaughters gave him a little food it's been floating. I just went to check on him. There is lots of stuff floating around. My hand pump thing fell apart so another thing coming tomorrow. I don't know what to do. I can't have live plants. Will the bottom cover thing be OK? Any suggestions on fake cheap plants? This is a pic of the tank now. I'm so upset I moved the stuff a little to try to get the heater to work. You would never know this tank was cleaned and a fish was just put in a couple days ago. He is swimming around now that the gunk has settled.
Why can’t you have live plants? I have several with my betta and one fake silk that conceals the sponge filter for now. I am moving in the direction of all live. My tank was secondhand and came with black sand. Looks very nice.

That’s a beautiful fish. please do not allow the children to add extra food, unless you’re observing & it’s the normal daily amount. Mine gets a few of those tiny pellets twice a day. Thinking of cutting back to once, but it’s only 2-3 very small pellets.

Last edited:
Why can’t you have live plants? I have several with my betta and one fake silk that conceals the sponge filter for now. I am moving in the direction of all live. My tank was secondhand and came with black sand. Looks very nice.
I love with my daughter right now nd even getting a fish was a big deal. Also I'm handicapped so can't really do the upkeep or afford it. And hopefully will be moving soon. I used to have a nice large tank with live plants when I was able. But for now it's not possibly

Thanks my 9 yr old granddaughter picked him out. He actually will come to the front on the tank and blow a bubble lpl. Still not sure he's eating

how big is that tank?

also cheap/tropical/fish are 3 words that don't mix.

you wouldn't buy cheap and nasty plastic rubbish for any other pet.....fish are pets.

Since the tank is bare bottomed, obviously you can't have plants rooted in the substrate, but you could have live plants attached to decor - anubias and java fern for example - and floating plants if you want to try live plants.

Bettas do have a reputation for not realising what you give them is actually food if it's not the same as the store uses. They eventually realise it is food and start eating. The important thing is not to give too much food (an important message for your granddaughter) and to remove the uneaten food after an hour or so - turkey basters are a useful tool for this.

another way to keep them down(substrate buried plants) is to use large rocks surround the plant with the rocks(they will hold it down)

please consider Live Plants as an alternative to Plastics

some plants don't even require any extra care but being put in the tank

ALL Live Plants help maintain Balance in the tank

Since the tank is bare bottomed, obviously you can't have plants rooted in the substrate, but you could have live plants attached to decor - anubias and java fern for example - and floating plants if you want to try live plants.

Bettas do have a reputation for not realising what you give them is actually food if it's not the same as the store uses. They eventually realise it is food and start eating. The important thing is not to give too much food (an important message for your granddaughter) and to remove the uneaten food after an hour or so - turkey basters are a useful tool for this.
My betta comes to the surface & eats his Micro Floating Betta Pellets. I cut it down to 2-3 twice a day. Otherwise I have to vacuum.

Thanks my 9 yr old granddaughter picked him out. He actually will come to the front on the tank and blow a bubble lpl. Still not sure he's eating
This is the food
E8BBEFFA-623B-4B7F-882C-AB2DEB64F97D.jpeg
that came with my used betta tank. I think it will last a long time. He gets a few, twice a day.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back