Planting land plants underwater

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tacocat

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi all

I've only got 1 tank so far but I've been planning ahead and I've been wondering about saving some money and buying land plants as a replacement for aquatic plants. I've read that a lot of plants can survive with their roots submerged but not their leaves. Are there any plants that have submergible leaves that are cheaper than aquatic plants? Also what about land moss? Will that survive underwater?

Hi all

I've only got 1 tank so far but I've been planning ahead and I've been wondering about saving some money and buying land plants as a replacement for aquatic plants. I've read that a lot of plants can survive with their roots submerged but not their leaves. Are there any plants that have submergible leaves that are cheaper than aquatic plants? Also what about land moss? Will that survive underwater?
Dummo about moss, here are some plants warning dont put leaves under water it rot last time i did
Lily plants daffodils monstera pothos pineapple bromeliad(which i think is pineapple)
Other pothos like plants
Mangrove
Bowl lily(very cheap)

these might not be safe but putting it here anyways
Spider plants
Basil
Snake plant
Onion
Green onion
Succulents
Garlic
avocade tree

Other water propogated stem plants

I have tried to grow terrestrial grass and moss, both of which ended up dying. I don't recommend you try. Stick to what is aquatic and safe for your tank.

I have tried to grow terrestrial grass and moss, both of which ended up dying. I don't recommend you try. Stick to what is aquatic and safe for your tank.
Yes, the ones i proposed are from propogated cuttings propogated in water.
they have all worked for me.

Terrestrial plants grow on land and die when kept underwater. Most terrestrial plants don't like having their roots constantly wet.

Some Marsh plants do well on land or in water and they all do well with wet roots.

Aquatic plants do well in water but die out of water.

Agree with @Colin_T here. There are very, very few terrestrial plants that will survive being submersed permanently. Most rot within a few weeks. This can have far more serious consequences, because these plants sometimes have toxic sap or compounds that can poison the tank.

Terrestrial plants and aquatic plants have very different leaf structures because of how they deal with water. Terrestrial plants need to conserve water, whereas aquatic plants are surrounded by water and have a very different issue to deal with when it comes to water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back