Planted Tank Wpg With Co2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sp8600

Reaction score
Hi.  Just setting up a new planted tank but I'm just wondering what sort of WPG I should be having with CO2 added to tank.

My tank is 453 Liter (119 US G, 99 Imperial G)
I have four 54W T5 lights (Total 216W)

So thats 1.8WPG on the US Gallons or 2.2WPG on the Imperial Gallons

Thanks.

I'd aim for the 2.5 WPG or more really if you are going with gas injection.

If its just liquid CO2 then anything at 2WPG or lower.

Thanks, will get another two 54w tubes.  I already have 4x Juwel High-Lite T5 tubes, would you suggest getting another two of them or something different?

Over a 450L tank, Another two would help if your going for CO2 injection then?

Would you suggest the same types of tube or get a different type (brand/model) of tube though? But I'll be keeping the 4 Juwel High-Light ones just adding two more

No matter what the light level in a planted tank, added co2 always helps. Here is what tropica says re co2:

Do I need CO2? If you wish to have plants that are marked "Medium" or "Advanced" in your plant aquarium, you need to add CO2. If you only have plants marked "Easy", you need not add extra CO2, but the plants will do better, if you choose to add just a bit.
from http://www.tropica.com/en/tropica-abc/basic-knowledge/co2-in-the-aquarium.aspx

sp8600 said:
Would you suggest the same types of tube or get a different type (brand/model) of tube though? But I'll be keeping the 4 Juwel High-Light ones just adding two more

Just get whatever, I normally just go for daylight ones that are kind of pinkish and white ones.

I'd stick with what you've got until you decide your plants aren't growing fast enough. Apart from the old WPG rules being well out of date since T12 - I'd just err on the side of caution with a new tank.

IMO

SO19Firearms said:
I'd stick with what you've got until you decide your plants aren't growing fast enough. Apart from the old WPG rules being well out of date since T12 - I'd just err on the side of caution with a new tank.IMO
^^^^this.

Don't go upping your lighting, the lighting you have is ample to grow any plant. Concentrate on the flow and c02 distribution.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back