Planted Tank or Predator Reef Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sadness child

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I am saving up to get a 125 gallon tank. I am wondering which one would be better, not trying to upset anyone. Just want to know to pros and cons of a Planted Tank, and the pros and cons of a predator reef tank.

Plant tank is probably cheaper unless you have access to clean sea water.

Marine tank has bigger brighter fish, altho most predatory fish are not colourful.
You don't have predators in coral reef tanks because the predators pollute the water and that kills corals. You either have a predator tank or a coral reef tank.

Marine are defiantly more expensive. What is your budget for actual fish? Are you planning on having live rock?

I do not plan on having a budget, I will just save the amount it takes to fulfill what I want. Yes I plan on having both live and dry rock

I will point out that what ever goes into this 125g tank the opposite will go into a 46g bowfront that I have. ex. (If I put saltwater into the 125g, then the 46g will be a planted tank)

I don't know how long that tank has been set up but I would not recommend keeping a marine tank like that. The corals need clean water and the lionfish and eel are going to eat a lot and produce a lot of protein and waste. Some of this will be dealt with by the protein skimmer but it won't keep the water perfect for the long term health of the corals.

She has lionfish and a snowflake eel with ocellaris clownfish. These are the smallest anemonefish and shouldn't be kept with predators. This will end up badly in the future with the male and possibly female clownfish getting eaten by either the eel or the lionfish.

She has cone shells in the tank that hunt and eat fish and shrimp. These things could kill the anemonefish or the lionfish or the eel if it harpoons them.

There are 2 anemones in the tank and they will fight with and kill any corals too close to them.

-----------------------
If you had a couple of dwarf lionfish and a snowflake eel with soft corals, they would probably be ok if the water stays clean. But you don't want small clownfish, anenomes or cone shells in the tank with them.

I was not going to have clowns. Thank you for telling me

Sounds like a cool project. I personally would do a planted tank

I have been look and I think that I will have the saltwater tank as the 125, and the 46 as a heavily planted tank with 30 neon tetras some cory cats and maybe a centerpiece fish down the line, I just think that marine fish in a bigger tank is cooler than marine fish in a smaller tank.

My mom has vetoed the 125 gallon, so I will have to convert the 46g into a reef tank, and my 10g into a planted tank

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back