Planted Guppy Tank (54L)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I got mine from Ebay. There is one seller I use as his plants are shrimp safe. He's out of stock at the moment but if you don't have shrimps or snails, any of the several other sellers will be fine. Some sellers call it frogbit, others use the Latin name.
If you do have shrimps/snails ProShrimp has it in stock at the moment.
Thanks bud, I have a small snail infest but nothing major that can’t wait for a cpl weeks till I get a cpl loaches to cure it.....or I might move the ones from other tank upto top one for a few weeks lol.

If it's pest snails, you don't need to worry about plants being shrimp safe. It's when you spend money buying snails you have to be careful. I have shrimps and nerite snails which is why I buy shrimp-safe plants.

Did maybe 40% water change this morning along with the 170L, followed by a test just now:

ammonia - 0.00ppm (stayed the same)
nitrite - 0.25ppm (decreased from around 2.0ppm last night)
pH - 7-8 (first recording)

Nitrite levels are going down gradually with each water change. Just a couple of days and the first week of quarantine will be up!

Three female guppies have died, leaving half behind. Will get an additional three when I've got my actual quarantine tank up and running, but for now I've got three left. Both of my upside down catfish are doing very well together!

Putting the catfish in the 170L after four weeks of quarantine and will be putting the three male guppies in with the females in the guppy tank when I've got my 2:1 ratio back in order.

Reconsidering getting a bristlenose... Might just make this a guppy tank with shrimp after all.

Right now the tank is housing my common pleco, five glowlight tetras and three congo tetras (which were all originally in my 170L) as well as the guppies. I hadn't intended for this to happen, but we haven't gotten around to giving them to my LFS yet. My parents keep guilting me into keeping them - or the common pleco at least - so I made the deal that, if my dad can get his own tank, he can keep the fish I'm removing from my own tank(s). They're not diseased or ill or aggressive or anything, I just don't like them.

I wish they could understand that. If they want to keep them, then it should be their responsibility. I just don't have the space or love in my heart for these fish.

The upside down catfish that I was quarantining are in the 170L now, and are both very happy there. Hoping to get a couple more soon.

The female guppies have exploded with colour and I'm extremely pleased with them. They've gotten bigger, their tails have much more colouration and they look very healthy and happy. Right now my female to male ratio is disproportionate, and I'm waiting on my quarantine tank (journal here) to finish up cycling to get the ratio right. Should I keep all my males? I have 7, but only 3 females. 14 females is quite a lot, though. Not sure. Advice would be appreciated here. Maybe I'll take out three males so I'm left with four, and then put in an additional five or six females.

As for the tank itself, I removed the micranthemum ambrosum. Waste of time, died off and was pretty depressing in all honestly. Java moss is doing well already, and elodea densa is growing nicely. The frogbit is also doing well, and I've wound up with a few little bits in my 170L. We'll see how that goes. Rearranged the rocks to give the temporarily housed pleco some shade as well as the chunk of bogwood that was already in there. Everything's looking good. Nitrite and ammonia both low, pH is consistent and all the fish seem happy.

1619806433942.png
Things are finally taking shape! All the temporary fish in this tank have been rehomed, so the tank is free for the guppies! And it's actually starting to look like a planted tank now!

Today I got some more guppies, 6 females to make up for the 3 that died a few months back, and another 3 for good measure. Also bought some elodea (which was overpriced as all hell) and a sword plant (echinodorus atlandsberg, which I keep forgetting the name of). The java moss that was originally in the tank has been relocated to the 170L, and I will eventually get some more plants for the tank floor as time goes on. Right now, I'm very pleased with it.

Hopefully I'll be getting some otocinclus in the autumn/late summer when my tank has a good amount of algae growth. Already got a fair few bladder snails roaming around, thinking about getting rabbit snails or ramshorn snails for this tank when I can. No shrimp for this tank though, I'll save that for another time.

My dad also made me a sliding lid for this tank! He printed out the rims using his 3D printer (which I think is pretty nifty), and cut all the pieces to size, and it works great.

1619806477504.png
1619806497080.png

I'm actually starting to feel proud of this tank. The decoration is lacking, but that can be fixed. Suggestions would be nice, as always.

Thanks for looking!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back