Planted Freshwater Aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
B

BettaBettas

So I thought since ive been here for a bit (like a week 1/2 lol I don't even know) I thought I would make a journal about my tanks and how they are like they are! And ill tell the story as well of how they GOT to where they are...

So lets get started

About 1 year ago when I was 13 just turning 14, I lived in Huntington, West Virginia on a good hobby farm. My mom told me she had an aquarium when she was little, it was a Discus tank. I had no clue what that even meant or was so I looked it up on Google only to find out that it was a beautiful type of fish! As I was looking I became inspired, to own something as nice and as neat as that.
One Day in West Virginia, I went to Petco and saw a Perfect $400 tank, just for me. I knew after crazy amounts of research, what everything was and how to do stuff and manage an aquarium. So since I was about 14 and this was $400, I had to get a job, and that job was picking beans in a neighbors bean field. It was horrible! worst job ever! lol, but after a good amount of months, I had that amount of money (or so) and purchased this 60 gallon aquarium. it looked so cool, or to me it did.
After I set (sry I don't have pictures) the aquarium up and filled it with cleaned sand and tap water, I put declorinator in it and did all the ph adjustments. then I added the fake plastic plants into it and made it look natural-ish. With a touch of Modern.
Then came the big day, when I got my first fish- a male betta (unknown what kind, cant remember) and a couple of gourami's, and some Neon Tetras, I was paranoid on how many fish I had in the tank thinking there was always to many when really I could have most likely put many many more in there.
Fast Forward to a while later probably about 3 months, mom, me, and my step-dad went to a race. (my mom used to do a lot of races) as we left we saw that someone drove into a ditch nearby our house. later on after the race we were driving home. I remember the beautiful view of fields and fields of wheat. really pretty. We then Received a call from a nearby friend, our house was burnt down, or burning. When we got home we where left to see only ashes on ashes (it was a 2 story log house). horrible sight for my parents but since the crime rate was rising in WV I figured it would happen.
Later on we Moved to NC for a bit (like 1 year) then we Moved HERE to Arkansas (Mountain Home) In NC I had a 75Gallon planted aquarium, mostly just java fern no Co2.
Here currently in Arkansas I have 2 TEMP. 5 gallon aquariums (ones 5.5)
One of them has mostly anubias in them
Did have Asian water fern but I re-designed and moved stuff around so I took that out and put it in the 5.5 gallon..
5.5 gallon is not my main focus aquarium currently, but my 5 gallon fluval spec long is.

Fish in the Fluval:
Male Delta Tail Betta
3 Female Bettas (VeilTail, Crowntail, and halfmoon).
2 cherry Barbs (getting more in the soon to setup 75G)
1 Golden Algae Eater

Fish In 5.5G Tank
4 Gourami's
5 Black Tetras
2 Fish of which I forgot the name lol

Stay Tune For Updates On The Aquarium!

will tell rest of story and update on fish tanks later 8/14/16 -9:30PM

Attachments

• 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 246
  • nates_fish_tank_006_10.jpg
    nates_fish_tank_006_10.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 233
  • nates_001_10.jpg
    nates_001_10.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 258
alright so today I went to the lfs, and saw some things that I thought my fish would like, they were plants and I couldn't help but purchasing them lol, I got 3 Amazon swords, and 1 anubias lol (anubias freak)
They looked pretty healthy so I got them, and when I put them in the fluval tank, the results were very pleasing and still are now :nod: lol
Heres the Pictures!

Attachments

• 001_9.jpg
    001_9.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 251
  • 002_9.jpg
    002_9.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 003_9.jpg
    003_9.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 270
That long yellow fish is a Golden Wonder Killifish. The plants look nice c:

A question though, what is the male betta doing in with the three females?

Love the tanks! Those new Amazons look so nice. Don't your Gouramis fight? I tried having a few males together and they just attacked each other constantly. :(

the gouramis don't fight, surprisingly. they mostly stay in there corners! lol

And Lyra: The male is a peaceful Betta, ive had him for at least half my aquarium life with those females (so about 4 years)

well today something happened badly (oh no) so I put the red gourami into the other tank for a bit, and then my suckerfish! started sucking off his scales! like omg o-o, so I immediately put him back in the proper tank and treated him with proper medicine. But omg why would my sucker suck of his scales... viscous

I forgot to tell you in my last post, that sucker fish is a Chinese Algae Eater. They stop eating algae and become aggressive as they grow, I'd recommend separating them asap. 

So unfortunately my CAE (Chinese algae eater) Which I thought would last peaceful until I get the 75 gallon set up, became aggressive the other day and injured one of my fish which is currently being treated and is in quarantine atm. So now I have to get rid of the CAE and im trying to find a way, and if I have to Ill euthanize him which I hope that it doesn't come to that but. do watcha gotta do I guess. wish me luck, him to :)

Status update on my red gourami: he's doing ok, he's kind of taking a break, just staying in his area and territory (his good old corner) I would take a pic but I have to go buy another memory card. His scales haven't started to grow back due to how soon the event happened. Should soon though! his stress coat is building up on his scale less areas and that's the only thing im currently worrying about :) im hoping he'll be ok!

oke dokey! so the CAE is not going to be euthanized now as someone has offered to take it if Petco doesn't. HURRAY! :)

So today I brought my CAE (Chinese algae eater to Petco) and I have some great news...

They took him in, I talked with the store manager for about an hour or so just blabbering, but as soon as I mentioned the fish she said its alright. I told her the age if its healthy or not etc. and she actually gave me a free nerite snail! a zebra 1 so im hoping that the snail cleans the tank really really good, its only a 5 gallon so I imagine that since its a nerite snail, known for how quick it eats algae, that this should be fine!

Status on Red gourami: He's doing ok I think, looked closer at him today and its pretty bad, healing, but still pretty bad... I think he'll make it though, I think he'll be ok :) hopefully, wish me luck! also sorry I don't have any pics atm, I still have to buy those new cards T_T

Sorry I didn't update yesterday, life had me busy! So I took a lot of pictures of my fish, and ill upload them
smile.png

~uploading plz wait~ x3

Attachments

• Upload.jpg
    Upload.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 217
  • upload1.jpg
    upload1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 221
  • upload 2.jpg
    upload 2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 233