Planted Fluval Spec V

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Pibbles

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve wanted a Fluval Spec for years. I never bought one because I had read that the lights were so-so. But recently Fluval updated the Spec! The lights are much improved. So I bought one and then the next day (of course) Petco offered a $30 off your purchase of $100 or more. Thatā€™s the way it goes sometimes!

I brought the tank home after work, did a water change on my big tank, pulled some plants out that needed more attention, and brought the new little tank upstairs to itā€™s temporary home. Iā€™m building a new nightstand when I get back from Colorado the first week of March, so for now it is in my dogā€™s bedroom.

From Petco I found two cooler pieces of Mopani that I tied together to form a sort of bridge. Iā€™ll attach some java moss to the wood soon. I had a neat looking piece of lava stone in there but I ran out of room for plants so I took it out. It may go in the 3 gallon tank if I ever decide to use it.

For plants, I have a tropica fern, microswords, Argentine swords, ludwigia repens (pulled from larger tank), bacopa, a plant I donā€™t know the name of, and some Amazon frogbit. I used black sand and I really like the way the dark substrate looks in this tank. The light is nice and bright and the filter will be perfect for a little betta buddy. I think I can squeeze a heater in the filter compartment. I have one on the way. It should be here tomorrow. All the small ones I could find in store didnā€™t have a thermostat and I donā€™t like that for betta fish.

At first I planted the taller plants in front (darker picture), but yesterday I swapped a few things around. I hope the microsword carpets under the bridge. I think I would quite like that.

Attachments

• 68DDE6E8-0B0C-490B-B735-68A4D6C1EB92.jpeg
    68DDE6E8-0B0C-490B-B735-68A4D6C1EB92.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 437
  • 654D6635-FB0D-492D-8E5F-2779A4328A2A.jpeg
    654D6635-FB0D-492D-8E5F-2779A4328A2A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 393
I have the fluval spec v, bought it a few months ago. Great little display tank. But I find it looses water out of the filter area, so while the tank looks full the filter section will be bone dry. I tried putting a small heater in that compartment and I found that it didn't do a good job of heating - plus with the water level in the compartment falling before the tank water level does it could be a safety issue.

I like what you've done with your tank, I'm sure it will look amazing when things fill in. Mine just has fake plants and such in it. Any ideas on what you are going to put in it?

It will be home to a betta fish and some snails. Thatā€™s interesting about the filter losing water. Mine (so far) has not had that issue. Iā€™ll keep an eye on it for sure!

Most reactions

Back