FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

drizzy_052248

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys, Iā€™ve recently gotten a 60 gallon fish tank, starting to do a cycle, and for this tank Iā€™ve decided I want to try live plants. big step for me definitely as it is my first ever try. I want to go with the low maintenance ones so I was thinking Java fern, Anubias, anubias petite, moss balls (already ordered) and subwassertang. and Iā€™ve been thinking of some Amazon frogbit to give Java fern and anubias some shade considering based on research they prefer low lighting. was just wondering what you think? I also have some questions if you donā€™t mind. I was wondering about the subwassertang, it is very hard to find in Ontario Canada so I will have to order online. Iā€™ve found a website that sells these plants but on sort of a mesh plate. Im not too sure. Anyways I was thinking thatā€™s perfect as it will be very easy to plant along side the anubias petite towards the gravel with the low small plants towards the front and big plants towards the back. But Iā€™ve recently read that subwassertang canā€™t be planted. I donā€™t know if that is true and if it is then crap that will suck. So was just wondering if anyone can confirm if itā€™s true or not(hopefully not). I will put the link to the website for pictures of the mesh plate with the plant. any tips you guys may have will also be a huge help. I will be using aquarium co op easy green all in one fertilizer (when they have it in stock on Amazon for 35$. in case info is needed). I have ohko stone in there also which I am very proud of!
(ps, I know Anubias and Java fern canā€™t be planted and only attached to rocks. I will be attaching the anubias petite to the very little pieces of broken rocks that came along side the ohko stone I ordered. Iā€™m not that much of a newbie. Jk lol, I definitely am)

Link for the subwassertang.

Are these plants planted through the substrate?
They can be ..

Hornwort, not so much, but
I've had great success tucking them under rocks and such and letting them grow out on each side. The stems will tend to wilt at the bottom if you actually plant them.

Anacharis can readily root in gravel, at least from my experience. It also sends out long roots and new plants from the side. You can also tuck this just about anywhere. They can be wrapped around branches, too.

I also have both of these plants growing out of natural holes in wood.

Both of these plants also float just fine, better actually then planted.

I guess it depends on the look you want in your tank. Mine tend to be kind of fun roolee so it may not be the best choice for you.

One thing I will mention is that seeing the new growth and roots on these plants give me satisfaction because I know they are helping to keep my tank clean and that's great for my fish. in addition I think that these long plants, at least for my fish, help them to feel comfortable by breaking up the line of sight.

They can be ..

Hornwort, not so much, but
I've had great success tucking them under rocks and such and letting them grow out on each side. The stems will tend to wilt at the bottom if you actually plant them.

Anacharis can readily root in gravel, at least from my experience. It also sends out long roots and new plants from the side. You can also tuck this just about anywhere. They can be wrapped around branches, too.

I also have both of these plants growing out of natural holes in wood.

Both of these plants also float just fine, better actually then planted.

I guess it depends on the look you want in your tank. Mine tend to be kind of fun roolee so it may not be the best choice for you.

One thing I will mention is that seeing the new growth and roots on these plants give me satisfaction because I know they are helping to keep my tank clean and that's great for my fish. in addition I think that these long plants, at least for my fish, help them to feel comfortable by breaking up the line of sight.
after youā€™ve mentioned those plants I was searching up videos or other forums about it and a lot of people have complained that it is very annoying to keep. Apparently they shed a lot and will constantly clog up their hob filters. Is this true? What are you experiences? I would probably use them as floaters then instead of frogbit if I were to get them. But yea what are your experiences with them shedding?

I used to have hornwort - I took it out as it grew too well. I anchored mine by twisting the stems through branched wood and the stems grew and grew and tangled themselves together. In the end I got fed up with having a tangled mass floating on the water and decided it would have to go.

Hornwort does have a reputation for dropping leaves but it's usually when there's something it doesn't like. For example, being moved from a cold water pond to a tropical tank, or when I bought a rock from a fish store which turned the water cloudy (I got up next day to find a very cloudy tank containing bare stems and a floor covered with leaves). I also lost leaves when trying to pull a stem from the tangle which just stripped the leaves off the stem, but that would happen with most plants.

No shedding with Anacharis

Hornwort, yes. As @Essjay mentioned, for me at higher temperatures after cooler ones.
Perhaps "cooked'' the greens?

I used to have hornwort - I took it out as it grew too well. I anchored mine by twisting the stems through branched wood and the stems grew and grew and tangled themselves together. In the end I got fed up with having a tangled mass floating on the water and decided it would have to go.

Hornwort does have a reputation for dropping leaves but it's usually when there's something it doesn't like. For example, being moved from a cold water pond to a tropical tank, or when I bought a rock from a fish store which turned the water cloudy (I got up next day to find a very cloudy tank containing bare stems and a floor covered with leaves). I also lost leaves when trying to pull a stem from the tangle which just stripped the leaves off the stem, but that would happen with most plants.
Seems rather difficult to keep then. I think I would like to stick with the frogbit instead? Also I was wondering what you people thought about the subwassertang attached to the mesh. Can this be planted in the ground?

Hornwort, yes. As @Essjay mentioned, for me at higher temperatures after cooler ones.
I think I would like to go with the Amazon frogbit, but a very good choice of a backup would be anacharis then. Also I was wondering what you thought about the subwassertang attached to the mesh. Can this be planted in the ground?

Actually, based on research, I think I would like to go with anacharis instead of frogbit. Reason being I feel the flow on my two hob filters will be too much for frogbit even if flow is a minimum. Any chance you can give more info on anachairs like their plant care and requirements such as temperature, light, etc. thanks
also anachairs would be ok with flow right? (as a floater plant)

The subwassertang can not be planted. It will float around the tank, or ball up and roll around. You might be able to anchor it down. It has no roots, and is considered a type of fern, I think. It grows slowly, but looks very nice.

Moneywort and Pennywort is easy too. I like anacharis. When you first are starting out fast growing plants are the way to go until your tank is established. It soaks up the ammonia and other waste. My 55 gallon tank mostly has slower growing Anubis now since it is well established.

The subwassertang can not be planted. It will float around the tank, or ball up and roll around. You might be able to anchor it down. It has no roots, and is considered a type of fern, I think. It grows slowly, but looks very nice.
ohh alright. So what would you recommend me doing with the sort of mesh plates it is attached too? Iā€™ve attached the link in my first text if you would like to check it out!

ohh alright. So what would you recommend me doing with the sort of mesh plates it is attached too? Iā€™ve attached the link in my first text if you would like to check it out!
I would bend the edges around so they don't scratch any curious fish. Then you could glue the mesh to a piece of decoration. The plant is probably glued to the mesh, and may or may not stick to it long term.

I would bend the edges around so they don't scratch any curious fish. Then you could glue the mesh to a piece of decoration. The plant is probably glued to the mesh, and may or may not stick to it long term.
So I canā€™t just place the mesh under the gravel right? Because my plan all along was to make those the small plants towards the front alongside the Anubias petite tied to broken rocks of ohko stone, but I probably only have enough for the Anubias not the subwassertang. just curious, since the subwasserant donā€™t have roots, what would happen if I were to do what I said? Will it die off? Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back