Planted, filterless Shrimp bowl

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
This is gorgeous and so refreshing. I've seen so many children (and adults) cram betta and even goldfish into something of that size. Then you come along and create a beautiful, functional aquascape where animals and plants can thrive. Thank you for sharing this experience with us!
Thanks for the kind words. It's been great fun doing this little project and sharing it.

These fish bowls are definitely only big enough for shrimp and snails, fish don't belong in such a small space. So far the plants are doing great and the shrimp haven't been in there longer than 24hrs but they're just doing their thing exploring and eating so looks promising!

So it's been a few days since i put the shrimp in and they seem to be pretty happy in the bowl! It's looking much cleaner since they went in too which is great. I'm adding a few more in now so hopefully I'll get some breeding action in time.
20210403_164143.jpg
20210403_171839.jpg

Last edited:
Dwarf Hairgrass is looking fine. :thumbs:
It's actually growing better in the bowl than my main tank haha. As the kuhlis and corys are uprooting the DHG in the main tank I'm removing it and replanting in the bowl.

It's actually growing better in the bowl than my main tank haha. As the kuhlis and corys are uprooting the DHG in the main tank I'm removing it and replanting in the bowl.
Ouch. Corys and loaches are a nightmare in a tank with carpeting plants. ?

Shrimp can do at room temp. Can't wait to see if you get some emersed growth from any of the plants! It would look awesome with plants growing out of it

Shrimp can do at room temp. Can't wait to see if you get some emersed growth from any of the plants! It would look awesome with plants growing out of it
Oops, sorry I missed some of the previous posts, Haha. Guess shrimp temperature is old new now!

Oops, sorry I missed some of the previous posts, Haha. Guess shrimp temperature is old new now!
Tropical shrimp should be kept at 76F-78F. Depending on your room temperature, you could do a tank with no heater, but that’s rare. ;)

I've got some new leaves coming up from the alternanthera and hygrophila blue stricta so i could see them eventually growing out of the bowl but the other plants like the pink baby tears and rotala would probably just grow horizontally and float on the surface.

Received some subwassertang and some staurogyne repens in the mail today so i added it to the bowl, the subwassertang really helps fill out the background and make the bowl look more full. Also just spotted one of my female RCS is loaded with eggs! Looks like the shrimpies are happy with their new bowl! :D

20210407_220057.jpg

Last edited:
This bowl is turning out so cool! I love it! I definitely will be stealing this idea someday!

Just saw the tiiiiniest baby shrimp swimming in the bowl! It was so small and fast that i couldn't get a picture of it but I'm definitely getting some breeding action going! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back