Planted Cycle - High Nitrites?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Derigriff

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Apologies for cross-posting this (i posted it as a comment in a different thread HERE), but i felt this was the best section for it:

Well it seems i have a new problem now. I'm now 2 weeks into a planted cycle, and about to do a water change. just now, i ran some tests. Ammonia test comes back 0 for the first time since the start (yay!!), but for some reason Nitrites have spiked like crazy (at least 5ppm according the the API test kit from what i understand). The nitrate test from API is incredibly fiddly, and im not sure i did it correctly, but it's showing a low amount (maybe 5-10?). I'm really confused what to do at this point. my tank seems to have decided that it's bored of doing a silent cycle and wants to do a fishless one instead :p what does this mean for stocking and such? i've got decent growth on many of the plants in there now, and i'm not sure what to do. Should i do a larger (75%?) water change now, or stick with around 30-50%? and what should i do now moving forward? Any help would be appreciated!

Don't bother doing nitrate tests until after the filter has cycled. Nitrate test kits read nitrite as nitrate and give you a false reading.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back