Planted, filterless Shrimp bowl

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mick85

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I'm going to have a crack at doing a planted, filterless bowl for my office at work. Must admit the inspiration came from MD tanks haha and also i've always wanted something for my office but just didn't want anything that will be high maintenance so a filterless bowl sounds appealing!

Substate is Amazonia V2 with the nutrient supplement things that came with it. Are they good enough or should i add some seachem root tabs too?

Hardscape will be seriyu rocks and spiderwood.

Plants i've ordered are dwarf hairgrass, monte carlo, anubia nana, rotala rotundifolia, java fern and i've got some ambulia and java moss that i can pull out of my community tank.

I bought a clip on desk lamp off ebay which is LED and 6500k so that should do the job.

I plan to eventually add some red cherry shrimp and maybe some snails but that's it as far as livestock.

If anyone else has done a similar set up i'd love to hear about it!

-539012031_20210226_193905_7512879_resized.jpg

-539935552_20210226_224254_6284908_resized.jpg

plants should come in next week as well as the light so i'll have some more updates once it's all done!

Will probably set it all up at the office, i think if i set it up at home and brought it to work it would get wrecked in the car on the way in.

plants should come in next week as well as the light so i'll have some more updates once it's all done!

Will probably set it all up at the office, i think if i set it up at home and brought it to work it would get wrecked in the car on the way in.
Make sure you come in early so you aren’t late! ;)

Also make sure to bring any equipment you may need. (Water conditioner, aquascaping tools, extension cords, etc.)

Make sure you come in early so you aren’t late! ;)

Also make sure to bring any equipment you may need. (Water conditioner, aquascaping tools, extension cords, etc.)
Yeh i've planned it all in my head already haha

I showed my manager what i'm planning to do and he was like "Oh yeh do one for me too!" :lol:

Yeh i've planned it all in my head already haha

I showed my manager what i'm planning to do and he was like "Oh yeh do one for me too!" :lol:
That would be cool if you could do one for your manager as well! :good:

20210228_161222.jpg
20210228_161226.jpg
Started placing some spiderwood in the scape. Pretty happy with this so far!

Looks great! Do you plan on adjusting the light all the way above the tank/driftwood? Or do you plan on fixing it to the side?

Looks great! Do you plan on adjusting the light all the way above the tank/driftwood? Or do you plan on fixing it to the side?
I'll just see whatever works better when the light comes in i guess. It has a flexible neck so i can try coming in from different angles.

I'm thinking of using some smaller rocks so you can see more of the spiderwood. The big rock was probably a little too big for that little bowl.
20210301_221912.jpg20210301_221916.jpg

Looks great! Rearranging the rocks was a smart move.

Keep us posted on when u get it setup in your office and how the plants/livestock are progressing. :good:

Yeh i think i made the right choice with the rocks. Will be easier to maintain it without that big rock in there.

I'm going to run it at home for a while just until it's settled in and cycled then i'll move it to my office at work.

Not sure if i should get a heater for it yet. Anyone know what minimum water temp cherry shrimp can handle?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back