Planted Bamboo leaves submerged?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Oblio

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've been growing bamboo with the stalk and roots in my filter and it seems to thrive. Can it thrive if the leaves are submerged with the roots in the substrate?

Keep an eye on them though, an experienced hobbyist friend of mine had bamboo in one her tanks for a long while, but when she had to pull it for a different reason, found that some of the stems had turned black and gross. Has just made me a bit wary of bamboo and tanks now, perhaps unfairly!

Keep an eye on them though, an experienced hobbyist friend of mine had bamboo in one her tanks for a long while, but when she had to pull it for a different reason, found that some of the stems had turned black and gross. Has just made me a bit wary of bamboo and tanks now, perhaps unfairly!
I've had mine for a few months and noticed that algae would coat the stems but was easy to clean. Now that the roots are growing, I'm interested to see if I can extend WC intervals a bit, not so much for the effort, but to conserve water - I usually change out 50-60 gallons each WC.

I've had mine for a few months and noticed that algae would coat the stems but was easy to clean. Now that the roots are growing, I'm interested to see if I can extend WC intervals a bit, not so much for the effort, but to conserve water - I usually change out 50-60 gallons each WC.
Completely understand! I just got some pothos and a moneseterra that I want to grow out of my tank, my first attempt at growing plants from the tank by keeping the roots underwater, and excited to see what difference it may make! Love the look of it too :D I haven't added them yet though.

Ouch, hope you have a Python and not having to change that many gallons via bucket! ;)

Ouch, hope you have a Python and not having to change that many gallons via bucket!
Yeppers!

I just got some pothos and a moneseterra that I want to grow out of my tank,
I've got some Pothos also, they are hanging by the filter spillway which seemed to increase the root growth. Once they are large enough I'll move them and start some others by the filter.

I've been growing bamboo with the stalk and roots in my filter and it seems to thrive. Can it thrive if the leaves are submerged with the roots in the substrate?
I have planted bamboo in my betta Hendra tank, it started growing leaves submerged a few months ago and they're doing great.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back