Planted aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SKILLY

Reaction score
Since setting my aquarium up a few months ago, I have begun to enjoy very good results with growing a range of plants. This is due to the help and advice from members of this forum, Thanks folks, and from various other web sites with an enormous amount of usefull information about how to keep a tropical fish aquarium. My tank is a 36" tank, which is lit by 3 X 30" 25 watt fluorescent tubes. The gravel in the tank is 2-3mm, under which I have used a layer of Latterite for plant fertilizatioun. Liquid fertilizer is added to the water at each partial water change (currently 20% once a week).I have opted to use a CO2 system which cost 18 pounds, but I have found this wasn't putting enough CO2 into the tank, so I then tried the home brew method of sugar and yeast and this is working brilliantly! The ph, Kh/Gh, and Fe are monitored frequently to ensure that the amount of CO2 in the water is correct, and that the Ph doesnt become too acid. The CO2 seems to be fairly steady at around 15ppm which apparently is ideal. All the plants in the aquarium seem to be growing well (with the exeption of one which is a Cryptocoryne Lingua. Apparently this is a slow growing plant, that doesn't like being moved. I could do with some advice from Rose on how to save this. The rest of the plants are bubbling out oxygen all day and rapidy building up strength. The plants consist of:-
Ambulia aquatica, Red ammannia, Anubia nana, Aponogeton crispus, Cardamine lyrata, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Crypt nevilli, Crypt lingua, Diplis diandra, Echinodorus Tennellus, Four leaf clover, Java fern, Java moss, Hair grass, Red Myriophyllum, Vallis corkscrew, Hygrophila polysperma, Rotala rotundifolia. The fish in the aquarium are:- 2 X Angels, 20 Cardinal Tetras and 3 Ottocinclus which keep any algae at bay, Thanks to William for the advice on these, theyre brill.
I am aware that the tank is very young yet, and I don't think it will be free from problems (far from it), so any help and advice on how to keep everything ticking over will be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile I am going to sit and enjoy!! :grin:
Photos to follow if I find out how to do send it! Help! :but:

I have got plants but don't have much knowledge on them. I am thrilled you like the ottocinclus they are cute aren't they :) And as you mentioned absolutely fabulous on all but the greenspot algae on the glass. I have 2 in my 36" tank and no algae what so ever! I also have 1/2 dozen cardinals which are also fabulous like you :)

William

Ok. Thats William and Rose covered, they've earned their money. What about me and Davy????? Any plans for "Anatbantoibs" or your basic "Cichlid" ? We'll even stretch to "Killifish" :)

K umpeenth time lucky.
I've been drinking tonight! Hic :look:
Anyhow If you've web space (you get it free from your from ISP) you can upload pics to the working space(ie. non published) just copy and paste the url when you go to the view page.
d##n now I'm going to have to post my pics seeing as how I've given the game away. Antone intersted in wild Cichlids, Never mind my own tanks??

Sorry your feeling left out adeyc, is that why your drinking? :p :p I've no plans for anabantoids but I will be setting up tank No.2 shortly and can't make my mind up what to put in it. I have kept and bred firemouth Ciclids in the past so might try them again. Trouble is, if you want to breed Ciclids they need to be on thier own and it seems a waste of a 3ft tank for 2 small firemouths so I might just go for a mixed Ciclid tank and forget the breeding part. Any advice on breed of Ciclids in a mixed tank appreciated??? Going to see if I can create a web site now so I can send some pictures. Cheers for now. Hic Hic! :laugh:

Yeah, the Ottos dont seem to touch the Green spot on the glass. I'm having to clean the glass manually. I've thought about getting a plec but thier is too many fish in the planted tank as it is really. Tally ho :p

Sounds like a really good tank. If you want just look up the members section on the main site and make your own edition then email me all the info and attach the photos, I'll add it all and we can have a good look :)

Adeyc, were you look through the eyes of a bear, when you typed all that :laugh:

It started off that way then a snake bit me. Darn dangerous venom these things have got makes you all woosy and you feel awful the next day. :laugh: At least thats all the Birthday drinking out of the way.(I hope)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back