Planted aquarium floors

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

ellamay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™m about to set up a small tank for my betta (currently thinking about a dennerle nano cube 20l) and would like some advice.

My first question is what do you do about keeping the aquarium floor clean when itā€™s completely planted like in the picture below? I use a gravel vac on my current aquarium but obviously you canā€™t do it if itā€™s completely planted.

Secondly, whatā€™s the best kind of centrepiece hardscape for a betta? Or should I just not bother with wood or rocks because the whole reason Iā€™m moving him is to help his fins stay in good condition.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 9529D33F-3380-48A5-BB56-685FEB6C1B22.png
    9529D33F-3380-48A5-BB56-685FEB6C1B22.png
    284.7 KB · Views: 45
Secondly, whatā€™s the best kind of centrepiece hardscape for a betta? Or should I just not bother with wood or rocks because the whole reason Iā€™m moving him is to help his fins stay in good condition.
Wood would look beautiful. Don't go for sharp rocks, smooth ones would be what you are looking for.

The wood and rocks are unnecessary if the live plants provide enough shelter. I would say the tank in the image has not got the right plants for betta - they need floating plants and tall plants as they like to rest at the surface.
Substrates cannot be syphoned in a heavily planted tank, just swirl the tube above the floor to lift up the debris. What substrate do you have?

The wood and rocks are unnecessary if the live plants provide enough shelter. I would say the tank in the image has not got the right plants for betta - they need floating plants and tall plants as they like to rest at the surface.
Substrates cannot be syphoned in a heavily planted tank, just swirl the tube above the floor to lift up the debris. What substrate do you have?
Havenā€™t got anything for the new betta tank yet apart from the sponge filter so I can get that in my old tank for a few weeks. Okay Iā€™ll just go with plants then.

Ah ok, is there any substrate that youā€™d recommend for heavily planted tanks?

I would add some Anubias nana if I had the tank you showed as an example, even if the Australians think it's a garden plant. On wood like that right under the surface, with some leaves breaking the surface, it would give the Batta resting spot. I'm not a fan of large fins on Bettas, but if you are, you have to adapt the tank for the handicap and give the fish spots close to air where it can rest from the drag.

A bare glass bottom always collects waste. It's more work than a planted substrate, and maybe it's because I have big hands, but tanks that size are harder to work in for daily maintenance. But if you plant like the photo, the plants will take care of it. It only gets messy if snails get in.

I would add some Anubias nana if I had the tank you showed as an example, even if the Australians think it's a garden plant. On wood like that right under the surface, with some leaves breaking the surface, it would give the Batta resting spot. I'm not a fan of large fins on Bettas, but if you are, you have to adapt the tank for the handicap and give the fish spots close to air where it can rest from the drag.

A bare glass bottom always collects waste. It's more work than a planted substrate, and maybe it's because I have big hands, but tanks that size are harder to work in for daily maintenance. But if you plant like the photo, the plants will take care of it. It only gets messy if snails get in.
Iā€™ll try and find some of that thank you! Heā€™s not got massive fins, Iā€™d say average for a betta. But they do get tears sometimes and I just want him to be more comfortable so thatā€™s why Iā€™m moving him.

I do want to go for a heavily planted tank for this one but Iā€™m worried it will end up being loads of work if I canā€™t get it quite right. I donā€™t add co2 or anything so some of the plants I pick donā€™t work out.

I am happy with my planted tanks, and have never used CO2. A little research into plants goes a long way to saving money and frustration.

Havenā€™t got anything for the new betta tank yet apart from the sponge filter so I can get that in my old tank for a few weeks. Okay Iā€™ll just go with plants then.

Ah ok, is there any substrate that youā€™d recommend for heavily planted tanks?
I'd say sand rather than gravel because the waste won't fall below the surface of the substrate to decay.

I've also had plants that haven't thrived. I just stick with the ones that do well. And I can't overemphasise how much betta appreciate floating plants.

I'd say sand rather than gravel because the waste won't fall below the surface of the substrate to decay.

I've also had plants that haven't thrived. I just stick with the ones that do well. And I can't overemphasise how much betta appreciate floating plants.
Thatā€™s good I prefer sand anyway, thanks for all your advice!

I have some floaters in my existing tank so Iā€™ll use some of those.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back