Planted 52

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Tank looks amazing but omg maintenance has to be tough with it's location!
Thank you, its not too bad to be honest.. ive got a gap of about 8 inches to play with.. I just wouldn't be able to put a huge piece of wood/hardscape in there of I wanted. Well, I could.. but thatd involve draining it and pulling it out to place it in etc..

Thank you, its not too bad to be honest.. ive got a gap of about 8 inches to play with.. I just wouldn't be able to put a huge piece of wood/hardscape in there of I wanted. Well, I could.. but thatd involve draining it and pulling it out to place it in etc..

My big tank doesn't have too much clearance either putting my big rock in was eh tricky.

Well it's absolutely beautiful and a real feature set into the bricks!

Been a while..
IMG_20210504_190204_edit_32602388032003.jpg

No new additions I don't think, unless more of the corydoras have spawned - I keep seeing smaller sized ones so I think one or two are managing to make it through from being an egg!

I found a cory had quite a nasty slice to her tail a few weeks ago and figured she may have caught it during spawning, on some of the oak branches I had along the front, so I've removed most of those now. Have left a couple to keep the pennywort weighed down a little.

The sword (echinodorus bleheri) has gone nuts.. same reason I removed the impai! But maybe not as nuts as the Impai.

I've been looking around for some rosette type plants, probably crypts, but a few (online) stores appear to be out of stock lately so need to keep my eyes peeled.

I added a peace lilly recently (aquaponic style) which is doing well, looking forward to seeing it flower someday.

Looking really good! Interested to see how you get on with the peace lilly :)

Wills

Looking really good! Interested to see how you get on with the peace lilly :)

Wills
IMG_20210505_080216.jpg

IMG_20210505_080228.jpg

Hasn't been in for too long, 2-3 weeks maybe. Its grown one new leaf and all of the roots!

I was wondering whether I should position some wood up against that corner and whether it would take to it or not

Hey @mbsqw1d ! You're missed around here, hope this gives you a notification and encourages you to come back! 😍 I've been AWOL for a long while too, but pop back in when I can. Would love to see how the tanks and fish are looking now! :D

I dived in with both feet when setting up my Fluval Roma 200 this last month. Luckily, I've held back on stocking the tank with a haphazard selection of fish, as it stands, I have 12 x peppered corydora and basic selection of plants.

Since re-joining this wonderful forum 10 years on from leaving the hobby, where I had a 125 litre community tank, I have been inspired by a number of members' setups, notably @Russjw and @seangee and guided by some sound advice, notably @Colin_T , @Lajos_Detari , @ArmchairAquariest, @Retired Viking, @PheonixKingZ .

Just before "lock-down", I got my hands on a 2nd hand Fluval Roma 200 , the 1 metre length complimented a space I have in the back room perfectly. The tank came with a Fluval E-series 300w heater and an APS 1400 EH+ canister filter (the previous owner had a salt water setup). Hardware wise, I've added a Nicrew LED light and the notorious DIY co2 paraphernalia (citric acid and bicarb).

At this point, I had no 'aqua-scape' in mind, all I knew is that I wanted a planted tank and I wanted corys. My partner insisted that I should get goldfish, some quick reading steered me away from this - I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable rehoming of them once they outgrew the tank.

One month on I have sand substrate, a couple of pieces of driftwood, and rocks from the beach. Java Fern, Anacharis, Vals and 3 x Anubias. Other than some GHA, the tank and its inhabitants appear to be thriving (Colin_T walked me through medicating (salt) one cory which looked to have bacterial infection).

Current layout:

View attachment 109639
A: Vals, B: Anacharis, C: Anubias, D: Java Fern,
E: Rocks, F: Filter Inlet G: Leaf litter (almond),
H: Heater (22C), I: Driftwood
View attachment 109641

I recently trawled through images of aquascapes and worked out a design that I'd be content with if I can pull it off. I'll need a couple more pieces of wood and a handful of plants (which I've ordered: Ludwigia palustris, Hygrophila Siamensis, Eleocharis parvula, Echinodorus bleheri, Alternanthera reineckii)

Planned layout would resemble:
View attachment 109640
A: Vals, B: Anacharis, C: Anubias, D: Java Fern,
E: Rocks, F: Filter Inlet G: Leaf litter (almond),
H: Heater (22C), I: Driftwood
J: Echinodorus bleheri, K: Hygrophila Siamensis,
L: Ludwigia palustris, M: Alternanthera reineckii,
N: Eleocharis parvula

I'd be removing a large amount of anacharis in order to achieve this - would it be wise to do this gradually given its efficiency at nitrate removal?
The aim here, and with what @seangee had mentioned concerning low light plants - anubias and java fern in mind, the Vals (A) would create a canopy over the anubias (C) and Java fern (D) on the right. And once the Echinodorus bleheri gets to a good height, this should perform the same task for the two plants on the left. Additional plants K, L and M are to add some focal points and will provide me with more of a challenge and hopefully do well from the co2.

Hindsight is the devil and I'd love to have planned this a little better before adding the fish... ah well. Once I'm satisfied, I can crack on and get the corys some tank mates :fish:
Awesome! Going into my great ideas to steal files. 😹😹😹

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back