Planted 350 Corner tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tiggs

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
tank.jpg

Not the best pic as it was daylight so it reflected a bit...will do some in the dark!

and one of my Firemouths!
IMG_2504.jpg

Ricca cave, only just put in - ricca needs to fill out a bit.
tank6.jpg

Glosso shooting everywhere.......needs to keep going (extra lights in soon to help)
tank4.jpg

Apple snail on log with well established ricca (notice the bubbles on the java fern!)
tank2.jpg

Close up of theback/right side
tank1.jpg

and tank in its corner.
tank-lid1.jpg

lol..thanks!

Its a hard tank to photo as the distance from one side to the other is large but when you view it head on (like a camera) it seems short. In real life its great as you sort of move round the tank to take it all in. Cant do that with a pic so it looks a bit 2 dimensional (as a picture would!)

Will do some pics later from different angles.

T

Now that's what I call stunning! And I usually understate my opinions. ;)

What fish do you have in there? I can see that there's a lovely big school of cardinals, but can't make out much else.

Stock:

25 (ish) cardinals
5 White cloud minows (still aound from when it was cycled)

4 Firemouth (lovely fish and great with other fish and the plants - so far!)

Tiger plec - great tough fish

4 ottos

2 pictus catfish.....live at the back where theres more ground space - comeout at night to the front and show up as silver flashes in the LED moonlight!

Horseface loach - going soon - too big and digs too much

2 apple snails

LOADS of the little snails....but not so many its a visual prob so i leave them too it

one silver hatchet...may get him a mate!

and a loach that looks like a clown loach in shape but is much smaller and black with yellow dots (called dotty.......ALWAYS follows the firemouths like those little fish that follow sharks!)

had some shrimp but they died when i lost control of the temp...was going to put some back but may not bother with the firemouths.

Quite heavy stock so run two extrenal filters (one with heater) and have the inlets on vertical spray bars to avoid surface movement.

Co2 injection and airstone at night to avoid O2 problems in the dark

T

KentBlokey said:
That's fantastic, well done :clap:
Can you tell me what the Plant at the very back is please?
Im affraid i am rubbish with the names.

Basically i just bought lots (and i mean £100s of pounds) of plants over about 2 months.......anything that did well i kept and use cuttings to replace anything that wasnt doing so well.

I know have a collection that seem do do great and pearl O2 like lemonade!

When i do some better pics later i will do close ups on the plants and maybe someone else can ID them?

In the meantime my simple approach was:

Left side.....big long leaves mix with med length leaves to give a sort of tall grass effect (and a big leafed thing in the middle!) These are set around a lot of large rocks which were used for hiding by the shrimp.

Back middle...when i ripped out the rubbish filetr box i was left with a lot of space - but also wanted to hide the pipes - there are two inlets, two outlets, a co2 chamber, an airstone pipe, a thermomoter sensor, an undergravel heater cable all running down the back corner.....so there is half a tree of wwod there then a bushy plant - its almost impossible to see ANY hardware when viewing the tank.

right side, more wood and cave for plec, cool plant that goes redder the higher it grows. Far right is some sort of tall multi branched thing!

Middle is some red plants for colour, some crypts? which are the short bushy ones then lots of ricca and glosso with loads more wood.

ohh...and two java frens which are hidden in the middle......i also have lots of java moss which lives high in the back at the top......it collects bits of leaves that float to the back and would otherwise rot, sink and clog the inlets.

as you can tell.......i really have no idea what i am doing and just planted what looked good till everything was doing well!

T

should add.....i dont suggest the "buy lots and see what lives" approach as sensible......its just what i did. if you do it and get divorced for wasting money dont blame me ;) (tip - only bring new fish stuff in the house when wife isnt looking)

Few more pics added to original post.....need a better camera really.

Tiggs said:
KentBlokey said:
That's fantastic, well done :clap:
Can you tell me what the Plant at the very back is please?
Im affraid i am rubbish with the names.

Basically i just bought lots (and i mean £100s of pounds) of plants over about 2 months.......anything that did well i kept and use cuttings to replace anything that wasnt doing so well.

I know have a collection that seem do do great and pearl O2 like lemonade!

When i do some better pics later i will do close ups on the plants and maybe someone else can ID them?
Yeah perhaps someone can I.D it.

I did the same, bought loads from java and just kept the few that work, though with fairly low lighting that wasn't mant.

The new pics are great also!!

Tokis-Phoenix said:
Awesome tank you have there! The planted cave looks fantastic, how long has it been growing?
only 2 days.......the ricca on my other logs was going nuts so i just pulled the top layer off! This still left a nice thick layer on the original logs (at least 10mm above the line of the hairnet holding the base layer) I then used the "cuttings" to cover a new log and chucked a hair net on - in 5-7 days it should have filled out nicely - the base layer always looks a little flat as its squashed by the net - the new growth extends beyond the net and looks much better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back