Plant tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

There is no "best" between those two options because they're both inert. Neither will have water chemical changing properties and neither will have any organic nutrients to help he plants, so here boh aesthetic really. One thing to note is that the finer the substrate the harder it is for plants roots to penetrate the substrate but that shouldn't be an issue with either of those options.

Different types of substrates combined generally do not really work. No matter what the substrates, they will mix, naturally. And the smaller grains will be on the bottom with the larger on top, always. The other thing is that one type of substrate is more natural (meaning, not artificial) and tends to make the tank floor look larger. This would be less of an issue here with two black substrates, but it is a consideration.

I would stay with just the black sand. Baker mentioned the plants rooting better in a fine substrate like sand, and that is very true. Larger sized grains can make this difficult, plus they also impact the bacterial action that is essential in the substrate.

You don't mention fish, but some have specific needs when it comes to the substrate. Plants generally can manage provided it is not too large a grain size.

I tried black once and didn't like it; every bit of "stuff" showed up, and under the water and tank lighting the black was not black but a dark grey. I prefer the mix sands, like play sand which is a mix of black/white/buff/grey or whatever. Detritus doesn't appear as obvious, and it tends to look about as natural as it can. This is simply an aesthetic aspect, up to you.

Byron.

Thanks for the replies...
What would u add to the floor to give the plants a kick start?

Thanks for the replies...
What would u add to the floor to give the plants a kick start?

Nothing. Plant nutrients need to be available continually, along with adequate light. Liquid fertilizers are basic, but not always necessary. Substrate tabs can provide good nutrition to larger plants like swords.

I tried one of those so-called enriched plant substrates once, but it was very expensive, it did not do much if anything for the plants over plain sand, and it was too sharp for substrate fish like cories. I previously used fine gravel, and have since then switched to play sand in all my tanks. I personally would not use anything else.

We need to remember that there are a number of natural processes that are at work in an aquarium, and at the same time it is a very unnatural environment compared to the natural habitat. So every substance added is likely going to impact the chemistry and biology, sometimes in unexpected ways. I like to keep it simple; the less we interfere, the less will go wrong.

Byron.

ah yer very true!
Im just trying to nail down an ok substrate.
im just getting myself a bit confused..

Just have a bare tank im trying to make a substrant that give baby tears the best opertunity to grow. including depths of gravel and how much of other to put under it etc etc

ah yer very true!
Im just trying to nail down an ok substrate.
im just getting myself a bit confused..

Just have a bare tank im trying to make a substrant that give baby tears the best opertunity to grow. including depths of gravel and how much of other to put under it etc etc

Back to your initial question, now that you mention wanting "carpet" plants like dwarf baby tears, definitely a sand, not a coarser gravel substrate. Sand will better allow the plants to root and spread via runners. The black sand you linked is fine, or play sand. Avoid any white sand like pool sand.

I still say you do not need anything under the sand. Light will be an issue here, as you need higher light for these low carpet plants. CO2 may also enter the equation, as this may be needed if the light is fairly intense. Otherwise, natural CO2 will balance.

could i go as far as using the sand for 4cms of depth of the sand an a fine half cm layer of the big quartz for the look?

thanks! yer im learning to have to be more specific or detailed when i ask questions!!
excellent thanks.... i might bite the bullet and get this if that would be ok? http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.c...caribsea-tahitian-moon-sand-20lb-9-072kg.html

i just think i liked the look of the thicker one better

could i go as far as using the sand for 4cms of depth of the sand an a fine half cm layer of the big quartz for the look?

The sand in the link is OK, as I said previously. And I also already mentioned that mixing different sized substrates does not work because they will mix. There are natural water currents throughout a aquarium, through the substrate, that will shift things. Bacterial action and heat/cold resulting is partly responsible, fish swimming and poking into the substrate is partly responsible, and water flow from the filter is partly responsible.

Aside from that, you haven't mentioned the intended fish, and this should be thought out before the substrate is acquired so you get something suited to the fish if any are substrate-level (cories and most all catfish, cichlids, some others).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back