Plant Suggestions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Clarousel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I finally got a light for my tank! :- I'm so excited about having new plants but I'm not sure what I should get. I'm clueless when it comes to plants.

My tank is 5 gallons, 40x19x25. Currently have 1 java fern on wood, 1 windelov on a coconut shell and 1 stem plant I still can't identify (may want to take that out because it's very long and thin). I want to get plants for the back of the tank and if possible something to fill the front.

What I have in mind right now is Bacopa carliniana and elodea. Wonder if that's suitable? :unsure:

Did you get the 5W light?
I have the same Baccopi in my tank, no co2,seems easy enough to grow.Used to have Elodea, which grew like a weed till i put the temperature up to 26°C which slowed it down a lot.
If it takes ok (and it should) it wll do a good job keeping your algae at bay, but may take over too much.Limnophila Sessiliflora is a nice alternative and is easy to grow. here

I wasn't able to find a 5W light so I got a 2x14W T5 light set. I know it's way over what I wanted to get but I'm playing around with light hours and the light cover. :look:

Oh I see. Yeah I'm afraid that the elodea would grow like crazy however I think I change my mind about it. I saw that plant on the website too. It looks like cabomba and I don't think I would be able to tell the difference haha. Do you dose ferts? I'm not sure if I need to since I have fish in the tank..

The tank is 5 Gal and the lights are 2x14W ? can you turn one of the bulbs off.That's a lot of light.
huh.gif

The tank is 5 Gal and the lights are 2x14W ? can you turn one of the bulbs off.That's a lot of light.
huh.gif

Oh yeah the bulbs have seperate switches. I know it's way over but the lightset fit my tank perfectly and I don't have the time to go searching around :X

i stand to be corrected but even with one bulb, you're going to need Co2 (excel or easycarbo) & ferts with N+P. Floating plants may help too,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back