Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aquaclay Ground

• Azoo Plant Grower Bed

• Red Sea Flora Base

• Total voters
I currently use eco-complete topped with hagen gravel. I think this is a very good substrate. But my new tank is going to be using ADA power sand and aqua soil which is incredibly expensive! You guys dont want to know how much I have spent on it. I just hope it works!

I currently use eco-complete topped with hagen gravel. I think this is a very good substrate. But my new tank is going to be using ADA power sand and aqua soil which is incredibly expensive! You guys dont want to know how much I have spent on it. I just hope it works!
Wow. At 2 liters for $22... that's crazy expensive. And I thought the EcoComplete was pricey.

If I was to use laterite with fine gravel, how much laterite will I need. My tanks foot print is 80cm X 34cm/31.5" X 14".

Hmm.... out of interest, how much eco complete would I need?

Cheers

PS: I would put the gravel on top of the laterite, not mixing them.

I heard that eco-complete had to recall a bunch of bags because they were contaminated or something.

I heard that eco-complete had to recall a bunch of bags because they were contaminated or something.

This was months ago and the problem has now been corrected, you can tell if a bag is contaminated if it has a white milky liquid at the bottom of the bag, all contaminated bags were replaced by the company.

That interesting, but any idea how much would I need? :/

Sorry its not an answer dave, but at least it bumps the post for you! :D :D

I would be interested in knowing this too.. that API laterite stuff isnt cheap, so how much do you need. i have a Juwel Rio 180, so its about 101x39 or so...

Does it depend on how heavily planted the tank will be?

Does it go everywhere, or just under where the plants will be, or a strip in some deeper sand at the back?

Squid

I believe that the laterite is mixed in with the bottom inch of substrate, and you use as much as it says on the box. And then topped up with another inch of substrate. So, for the both of us it should be 1 box, i think anyway.

Am I right ...... anyone? :/

I believe that the laterite is mixed in with the bottom inch of substrate, and you use as much as it says on the box. And then topped up with another inch of substrate. So, for the both of us it should be 1 box, i think anyway.

Am I right ...... anyone? :/

For the Laterite ( API first layer laterite) use 28 grams for every 4 litres of aquarium water, the API laterite comes in 2 sizes 567 grams or 1.56 kilos.

For Eco complete use .5 to 1 kg per US gallon of water, this is a very rough guide as all tanks bottoms are not created equal!

1 bag of regular flourite will be sufficient for a ten gallon tank.

The box says to rinse API Laterite granuals before mixing with other material but my lfs said not to, as nutrients will be washed away... who is correct?! BTW, this is my substrate for a 'tropical' tank set up (60x35x40cm - 80 litre) with 'live' plants: a small box of First Layer Pure Laterite granules mixed in with approx 4mm size natural gravel, to a depth of 1.5 inches; over this will be an inch of just the 4mm gravel; with around an inch of sand over the top of the whole lot. Could I leave out the top layer of sand or is it an important part?

The box says to rinse API Laterite granuals before mixing with other material but my lfs said not to, as nutrients will be washed away... who is correct?! BTW, this is my substrate for a 'tropical' tank set up (60x35x40cm - 80 litre) with 'live' plants: a small box of First Layer Pure Laterite granules mixed in with approx 4mm size natural gravel, to a depth of 1.5 inches; over this will be an inch of just the 4mm gravel; with around an inch of sand over the top of the whole lot. Could I leave out the top layer of sand or is it an important part?

Id leave out the sand it will just end up a the bottom anyway eventually because of its grain size, id wash the laterite very well (this will take you a while) dont wash it so much that the water runs clear or you will be there all night, if you dont wash it your tank will cloud up every time you disturb the substrate.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back