Plant recovery after shipping

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So i ordered new plants. Hygrophila and frogbit.

Well, fedex needs to learn to read labels saying fragile and needs to get on top of their service.

1, seller had package ready to go, fedex created the tracking label, but fedex didnt pick up the package the day it was supposed to go out, so it sat.

2, fedex did not handle the package gently, my plants arrived shattered to bits.

3, fedex did their famous "no knock leave at the door outside in 98F weather"

My hygrophila isnt too bad, one broken stem and some broken off leaves but otherwise intact.

My frogbit though... leaves broken off everywhere.

My question is, will these recover? I removed many already this morning that began to melt.

This is what i had yesterday.
20200610_125311.jpg

This is today
20200611_122347.jpg

What didnt survive shipping at all
received_588931028700876.jpeg

As long as the leaves are green(ish) and firm just throw them into the tank - they will turn into new plants. If they are brown / yellow and squidgy chuck them.

As long as the leaves are green(ish) and firm just throw them into the tank - they will turn into new plants. If they are brown / yellow and squidgy chuck them.
Awesome thanks!!
It came with free duck weed too but ive already killed half of that just looking at it haha

The frogbit looks quite good! When I got frogbit 5 months ago, all leaves were burned and most died but the one that survived quikly multiplied

The frogbit looks quite good! When I got frogbit 5 months ago, all leaves were burned and most died but the one that survived quikly multiplied
A lot of the leaves are loose broken off with no roots.

Is the Hygrophila water wisteria? Did any of your stems come rooted? I bought a variety of stems, including water wisteria off eBay and they all came in fairly rough shape. Most of the original stem on the Wisteria melted away in my tank, but eventually every piece grew roots and are now doing pretty well. Don't throw away if the base starts to melt/get mushy, just cut away the mushy portion under the healthy node.

In my experience, plants ordered online tend to melt quite a bit when you first introduce them, but usually bounce back alright. I've ordered many plants online and the only thing that didn't survive was some hornwort (broke off into a million pieces ugh) and some salvinia.

A lot of the leaves are loose broken off with no roots.
When you want more frogbit you break off the leaves and throw them back in the water. They will soon form roots. If you have healthy looking but broken stems on the hygrophila plant these too - remove the bottom few leaves first. Once they start growing and you trim the tops just plant the cuttings. Trimming them also makes them bush out more.

Is the Hygrophila water wisteria? Did any of your stems come rooted? I bought a variety of stems, including water wisteria off eBay and they all came in fairly rough shape. Most of the original stem on the Wisteria melted away in my tank, but eventually every piece grew roots and are now doing pretty well. Don't throw away if the base starts to melt/get mushy, just cut away the mushy portion under the healthy node.

In my experience, plants ordered online tend to melt quite a bit when you first introduce them, but usually bounce back alright. I've ordered many plants online and the only thing that didn't survive was some hornwort (broke off into a million pieces ugh) and some salvinia.
No, hygrophila polysperma. I got wisteria in another tank though. The hygrophila i cleaned off the broken leaves, the bottom most leaves and planted it. Had lots of healthy roots and new shoots already on it. Just some minor damage, plant is overall a nice plant. Got 6.5 stems. Some algae on it but thats okay with me. It's soft algae so my nerite will enjoy that free snack.
20200610_131722.jpg

When you want more frogbit you break off the leaves and throw them back in the water. They will soon form roots. If you have healthy looking but broken stems on the hygrophila plant these too - remove the bottom few leaves first. Once they start growing and you trim the tops just plant the cuttings. Trimming them also makes them bush out more.

This is good to know about the frogbit. I was worried how it would recover. Im a bit relieved about this.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back