The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bianca_m35

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Need recommendations for plants

So here are the things I like

Growth rate: Fast or even medium (I have anacharis which is pretty fast)

C02: not required

Fertilization: have fertilizers so wouldn't matter

Lighting: no special plant lighting required
( I have really bright lights. One side has lower light due to floating plants blocking half of the tank, the other side is VERY BRIGHT)

Substrate: regular gravel and small pebbles

Physical features: I like bushier plants, I love carpeting plants, I love that water lettuce has the super long roots that float, I like the plants they have in the back in the photo

basically plants that just take up the whole tank that grow like crazy like anacharis, hornwort, dwarf hairgrass, monte carlo (my dwarf hairgrass dies everytime i try so no)

Not crazy about anubias but I like plants that LOOK LIKE ammania gracilis and cabomba furcata.
Just giving ideas of plants that I like the look of so any tips would be great!

Vallis is a great background plant. I became a big fan of Brazilian Pennywort - very versatile... If you just chuck it in, it'll mostly float and resemble frogbit, water lettuce etc.
IMG_20210416_093705.jpg

You can plant it and have it growing vertically as a stem plant. You can also shove it into the substrate (mechanical retardation) and it'll carpet along the bottom.
IMG_20220203_235240.jpg

ALSO, if you do have it floating, it likes to escape and grow emersed with little white flowers which is pretty cool.
IMG_20211027_115339_edit_36237837125719.jpg

I would recommend vallisneria. They are really fast growing and look great
F20A5B37-BC4A-4AB2-8089-A287AAC92867.jpeg

(Sorry for the bad pic, lol)

Crypts are also a great choice.

I do like vallis. But left unchecked it'll start popping up all over the place. Did my head in eventually and I replaced it all for crypts (balansae and crispatula) which does the same but nowhere near as rapid.

I planted it in here as a background plant, as you can see it took over!
img_20201204_145617-jpg.153705

Attachments

• IMG_20201204_145617.jpg
    IMG_20201204_145617.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 115
i like giant vallis easy to keep in check you can tell it is giant val if it has a red tint to it
also water lettuce very easy to keep in check
both very fast growing

if your tank is really big i reccomend Amazon sword.

You could use ambulia. Java fern, crypt and Amazon sword if you're into big leafs. Tripartita will look great, so will java moss.
Oh, don't forget to use some pearlweed! They are bushy and fast growing and literally the best plant of a low tech!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back