Plant problems

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Swampman

Reaction score
Hi I am having a plant problem. This is in a 20gl tank up since December 2019. Eco complete, Excell,Flourish trace,Envy Propel. Excell, everyday, Flourish trace and envy every other day and propel every other day. The plant was growing great New strong shoots and sending out new plants. Than started to fade. That is when I started using Flourish Trace. Didn't help. Lights are LED and on 10 hours with a couple of blue leds for 2 hours in the evening. The other plants are growing like weeds. What do you think is wrong. Is this plant better off with CO2. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
What plant is it? Where in the tank is it located?

That sword is a heavy root feeder. It needs root tabs. Its also getting too much light, but will tolerate more if you feed the roots.
Do you have livestock in the tank. Excel is poisonous to fish and shrimps. At the recommended dosage it won't kill them immediately but will in the long term. You appear to be adding a lot of stuff to the tank that your plants don't need.
Root tabs will be sufficient for your rooted plants (the seachen ones are what I use). You could also add flourish complete once a week. I would suggest starting at half the recommended dose.

The swordplant looks like it is being eaten by something.
Check for snails and algae eating fishes sitting on the leaves at night.

Swords are heavy root feeders, if you haven't added root tabs, that is likely the problem.

Thanks for your help. All of you. I do not have shrimp. there is some small Rainbows,neon,platies,BNP and horseface loach and small angels. . I will try root tabs.

bristlenose catfish, loaches and rainbowfish will chew on plants, bristlenose being the most likely culprits.

I agree get some root tabs throw out the excel. The sword is suffering from chlorosis in my opinion. When a plant cant produce enough chloraphyl due to lack of nutrients the leaves will turn yellow and in extreme cases like yours white. Plants need a lot of different nutrients the 3 they use the most are NPK nitrogen phosphorous and potassium. Nitrogen and phosphorous are usually provided by the fish and fish food but potassium is usually in low supply, tomm barr says the nutrient in tanks thatcis most often in short supply is potassium and iron. Neither are added to water supplies so they must be added. Personally i use root tabs from aquarium concepts because they have far more potassium and iron than flourish tabs do. Flourish tabs are mostly calcium and sodium. Which calcium is most likely already in the tap water and while needed for plants plants dont consume as much calcium as they do potassium. As for iron flourish liquid fert has a good amount of potassium and iron. The iron is derived from ferric gluconate which plants will utilize though as stated swords are heavy root feeders so the root tabs will help more.

The substrate tabs (depending upon the brand) willo likely solve the sword plant issue, in part anyway, but the other matter of way too many additives is not helping the plants and is certainly harming the fish as seangee noted. We don't know the light specs, and then there is the issue of the nutrients themselves that utahfish mentioned. One comprehensive (= complete and balanced) supplement is all you should use, a liquid for the plants needing this, and the substrate tab to boost the sword.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back