Plant jar tip

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, me again, sometimes if I have time I think too much about my tanks and have a lot of questions :)

I have a glass cylinder that I am going to set up instead of my two 3l jars of leftover plants. It is low tech no tech, stands on a windowsill, no additional light, no heater. my no heater tanks with lids are at 22°C right now, my no lid jar is at 19° so we can expect similar temp for this cylinder. This limits the plants immensly, same as the no additional light but will see. The sun hits the current jar few hours in the afternoon.

The diameters are crazy, base is like 20cm but the height is 40cm. It could be a 50l but it wont. The plan is to move the leftover plants, grow some, if I have too many shrimps from my other filtered tank, will move them there. Basically am just replacing the jars that dont look that great.

I wanted to do it with Walstad method, but at this moment I have no plants with root substrated. Lefotovers I have now are limnobium, egeria densa, hornwort, anubias, cladophora, riccia, duckweed. In next two weeks I might be able to swap with someone a Sagittaria subulata and maybe some Bacopa monnieri.

The question is: do I set up the substrate according to the walstad method anyway, even when I dont have a plants that will root in it just yet, put all the leftovers and plant the plants when I get them?
Or do I put it now with now substrate and do it all in two weeks anew with maybe the old water

Thanks

The question is: do I set up the substrate according to the walstad method anyway, even when I dont have a plants that will root in it just yet, put all the leftovers and plant the plants when I get them?
I would do this. That way the plants you have now, even thought they aren’t rooting plants, will have time to settle in.

You said the vase only gets a couple of hours of sunlight each day?

I agree as well. If it was my jar I would get some Seachem Plant and Shrimp substrate and save myself a lot of trouble And have lush plants and happy shrimps.😉

I would do this. That way the plants you have now, even thought they aren’t rooting plants, will have time to settle in.

You said the vase only gets a couple of hours of sunlight each day?
Direct sunlight, yes only 3 or so hours. Daylight most of the day of course since it is directly next to the window. Ok will do so. The jar is not as large as I expected in the end. Will have to figure it out :) thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back