Plant ID's....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lee_k

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure this come up often as i'm sure alot of people do what I've done - get themselves to the shop, but some plants that they think, yep they'll look good and tackle my nitrates - then a month or so later sit here and think, i wonder what they are!

Plant 1: I'm sure this was green when it went in (but i could be wrong) - I thought perhaps it'd gone brown and died during the cycling process or the diatoms that covered the tank initially had damaged it, it appears however that its growing?

Plant 1.jpg

Plant 2

Plant 2.jpg

Plant 3: This plant was actually brought and put into the wife's turtle tank (or at least i think it was this one) - but the turtles took a real liking to it....as food, so i put the half eaten plant into the tank and its growing like mad!

Plant 3.jpg

Plant 4:

Plant 4.jpg

Plant 5:

Plant 5.jpg

Plant 6:

Plant 6.jpg

Plants 6 & 7 - There are actually 3 of each of these in the tank. Plant 6 being the long grassy stuff, Plant 7 the smaller but wider leaved plant

Plant 7 & 8.jpg

Anyone know what they are? - Are there all fine in the tank, any I should get rid of? - is there too many, is that even possible?

Thanks
Lee

1. looks like a Cryptocoryne that is covered in brown algae. Reduce the light over it with a floating plant or just reduce the lighting time a little bit.

2. looks like a lotus lily that is sending its leaves up to the surface.

3. looks like Hygrophila ruba/ rubra.

4. Ambulia.

5. another Cryptocoryne.

6. maybe a pygmy chain sword or mini vallis

7. narrow vallis (Vallisneria)

They are all good plants to have in an aquarium.

You are fortunate to have a shop with all those nice plants available. You get to see them before you buy them and they all look very nice to me. Some of us live in rinky dink one dog towns and are lucky to find duckweed. I had to mail order Java Moss from the Internet. I hope it comes in alive, green and healthy. So please keep patronizing your local shop and tell them how great they are.

Thanks all! I'll keep notes so I know whats in there for future!

TBF My most local shop is brilliant and aside from what alot of people say about shops on here. They really are helpful and knowledgeable before profit in my opinion!

Thanks all! I'll keep notes so I know whats in there for future!

TBF My most local shop is brilliant and aside from what alot of people say about shops on here. They really are helpful and knowledgeable before profit in my opinion!
Be sure and let them know that. Express your appreciation to them. You are indeed very fortunate.

Most reactions

Back