Plant identification

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joeyr188

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
C518A7BA-751D-4FF4-9EDD-D2696504FDC8.jpeg

Does anyone know what this is I pretty sure it’s hornwort but I want to double check

Doesn't quite look like my hornwort, but I am far from an expert on aquatic plants.

Could be Cabomba caroliniana (fanwort). Similar to hornwort but its a little more demanding.
Having both (and i'm sure you do too) I would argue it is very different than hornworth ;) Hornworth tends to be a lot more bushy and cabomba is much more stalky (if that makes sense); frequently pruning of cabomba will allow it ot branch a little but it never really just fills an aquarium like hornworth; also i generally prefer to float hornworth while cabomba seems to do a lot better planted.

That looks like Myriophyllum hippuroides to me.
I think you are correct. I have a few spieces of myriophyllum and had cabomba but it died out; i always get confused between the two and actually i'm not even sure if you are correct but i think you are the structure seems different between the two with myriophyllum more uniform up/down the stalk while cabomba seems to grow in layers (if that make sense) like hats stacked on top of each other. While cabomba died out myriphyllum grow like a weed - very annoying weed some of the time but the red tint stuff i have is really nice.

Having both (and i'm sure you do too) I would argue it is very different than hornworth ;) Hornworth tends to be a lot more bushy and cabomba is much more stalky (if that makes sense); frequently pruning of cabomba will allow it ot branch a little but it never really just fills an aquarium like hornworth; also i generally prefer to float hornworth while cabomba seems to do a lot better planted.
The needs of each plant are certainIy different but i think looks wise to start with all 3 mentioned look pretty similar (could probably put Limnophila sessilifora in there aswel as others) and alot of people get them mixed up.

Screenshot_20230102_015027_Chrome.jpg

Hornwort
Screenshot_20230102_013229_eBay.jpg

Cabomba
Screenshot_20230102_014951_eBay.jpg
Myriphyllum

Alot plant hornwort but its a true floating plant really🙂

Could be any of them lol

The needs of each plant are certainIy different but i think looks wise to start with all 3 mentioned look pretty similar (could probably put Limnophila sessilifora in there aswel as others) and alot of people get them mixed up.

View attachment 308504

Hornwort
View attachment 308505

Cabomba
View attachment 308507
Myriphyllum

Alot plant hornwort but its a true floating plant really🙂

Could be any of them lol
yea my hornworth floats; i think the biggest difference is hornworth grows a mile a day in a low tech aquarium and the others only grow 1/2 a mile a week in a high-tech aquarium....

yea my hornworth floats; i think the biggest difference is hornworth grows a mile a day in a low tech aquarium and the others only grow 1/2 a mile a week in a high-tech aquarium....
Ooh i need some hornwort!! my bacopa lost all its leavves underwater after discovering the surface lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back