Plant Identification

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MollyMan1

Reaction score
My dad has a 36 gallon and 55 galllon tank. In the 36 there is one lonely plant and I have no clue what it is. It is also pretty torn up from cichlids biting it. I am going to ask him to transfer it to the 55 community for a better life. Anyone know what type it is?

Attachments

• PXL_20221126_195208791.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221126_195208791.MP.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 46
Yes, it does appear to be an Echinodorus species (Amazon sword common name). It is in bad shape...when it is moved, stick a Flourish Tab next to the roots. Echinodorus plants are heavy root feeders, but these tabs do wonders. Just 1, replace every 3-4 months.

Yes, it does appear to be an Echinodorus species (Amazon sword common name). It is in bad shape...when it is moved, stick a Flourish Tab next to the roots. Echinodorus plants are heavy root feeders, but these tabs do wonders. Just 1, replace every 3-4 months.
We have API Root Tabs. I will probably transfer the plant tomorrow. How far away do you put the root tab from where the plant is planted. A few inches?

We have API Root Tabs. I will probably transfer the plant tomorrow. How far away do you put the root tab from where the plant is planted. A few inches?

I poke it down into the substrate very close to the crown of the plant, no more than an inch. Sometimes with very large swords the root mass is enormous and so think I have had to move an inch further back. But the roots will find the nutrients.

The API tabs are not as good as Flourish Tabs, and some members have reported real messes if the API should be disturbed. I know the Flourish Tabs are expensive perhaps by comparison, but they are incredible tabs and a package of ten (the smallest size) will last months depending upon the number of plants.

I poke it down into the substrate very close to the crown of the plant, no more than an inch. Sometimes with very large swords the root mass is enormous and so think I have had to move an inch further back. But the roots will find the nutrients.

The API tabs are not as good as Flourish Tabs, and some members have reported real messes if the API should be disturbed. I know the Flourish Tabs are expensive perhaps by comparison, but they are incredible tabs and a package of ten (the smallest size) will last months depending upon the number of plants.
I washed off the plant to get dead stuff off and then put half a api root tab in near it (I put the tab first). In this tank nothing will bite it so hopefully it will do better. I may have planted the half tab a bit too far, but roots will find (hopefully). I think I did okay. It's just hard to control bigger rocks and not damage the plant. The root tabs are messy indeed. *the flourish are cheaper, but this is just what we have, so gonna use them up.

the red dot is around where the tab is*

Attachments

• Snapchat-1376365613.jpg
    Snapchat-1376365613.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20221127_180559206.jpg
    PXL_20221127_180559206.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 35

Most reactions

Back