Plant identification

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishboy_Max

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, yesterday I bought a bunch of plants, and in that bunch was this, what is it, how do I look after it, and whatnot. (It seems like a planted plant, it does not have a rhizome)
20220629_204330.jpg
20220629_204125.jpg

Go onto your Google app, click the camera, and snap a picture of it. If it’s got a name, Google will find it,

It does look a bit like a stem of water sprite that has been broken off a big mother plant. Let it grow for a bit and see what it develops into :)
Sorry, I know its been quite a while since I posted this thread but I do believe it is a bit that broke off a mother plant, it came in a bunch of other plants I can't remember the name from but the main stem has since disintegrated and left behind little "baby" plants which I have planted across my tanks.
And I do believe that they are Ceratopteris.
Thank you for the answers and sorry for the late response.

I would not consider the pictured plant(s) to be a species of Ceratopteris. Both C. pteridoides and C. thalictroides do produce a rhizome but it is short, not exceeding 3 cm roughly (Kasselmann, 2003). C. cornuta does not. There are two other species (five species are recognized in the genus) but apparently never seen in aquaria.

If you could take photos of what the plants now look like it might clue one of us in to the genus.

I would not consider the pictured plant(s) to be a species of Ceratopteris. Both C. pteridoides and C. thalictroides do produce a rhizome but it is short, not exceeding 3 cm roughly (Kasselmann, 2003). C. cornuta does not. There are two other species (five species are recognized in the genus) but apparently never seen in aquaria.

If you could take photos of what the plants now look like it might clue one of us in to the genus.
Hmm, I see, sorry just left for vacation so can't really get photos.

Sorry, just asked the carer to take a pic and here they are
IMG-20220729-WA0002.jpg

Yes, those do look like a Ceratopteris. Taking a closer look at the earlier photos, I can now see that you are actually holding a frond (leaf), not a sort of "stem" which is what it first looked like to me. My uncertainty is now resolved, thanks.

Yes, those do look like a Ceratopteris. Taking a closer look at the earlier photos, I can now see that you are actually holding a frond (leaf), not a sort of "stem" which is what it first looked like to me. My uncertainty is now resolved, thanks.
Cool, thanks, if I may ask do you have any idea how to take care of it?

Cool, thanks, if I may ask do you have any idea how to take care of it?

I am surmising the species is either C. cornuta or C. thalictroides, which are more common. Both can have variable leaves depending upon age, conditions, and how they are grown. They need good light, and for this reason usually do better floating. And, they are indeed beautiful floating plants, "ammonia sinks" some have termed them.

I am surmising the species is either C. cornuta or C. thalictroides, which are more common. Both can have variable leaves depending upon age, conditions, and how they are grown. They need good light, and for this reason usually do better floating. And, they are indeed beautiful floating plants, "ammonia sinks" some have termed them.
Thanks.
Luckily I have placed it in a lowboi then.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back